Emergency Services Technician
Adult Emergency Services is currently seeking experienced Emergency Department (ED) Techs. Under the direction of the RN, the ED Tech will perform patient care services and specific technical duties that provide for emergent and urgent care, safety, and comfort for the adult patient and their family.
This is a fast-paced, challenging position in an academic environment fully committed to maintaining EXCELLENCE in family centered adult emergency care.
AS DIRECTED AND SUPERVISED BY THE RN, MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES FOR THE ED TECH INCLUDES:
- Providing safe and efficient care to adults of all ages experiencing an emergency situation.
- Providing Patient & Family Centered Care through collaboration with all members of the health care team in order to meet complex care requirements of the emergency adult population.
- Provides assistance with emergency procedures, including but not limited to vital signs, IV insertion, venipuncture, wound care, application of orthopedic devices, 12-lead EKG, patient monitoring during diagnostic procedures, patient transport, stocking department supplies.
- Demonstrates competence in the implementation of technical skills required for the care of the adult emergency patient according to UMHS policies, procedures, and standards.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills as evidenced by the utilization of a rapid decision making process in emergency situations.
- Demonstrates full compliance with practices in documentation while providing adult emergency care.
- Assumes leadership responsibilities in teamwork and adult patient care delivery.
- Identifies and assumes responsibility for one's own learning needs.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Demonstrated expertise in interpersonal communication and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team atmosphere as well as the ability to accept delegated responsibilities
- Demonstrated leadership abilities as evidenced by progressive responsibility in previous work settings
- Excellent clinical skills but not limited to IV insertion, venipuncture, and arrhythmia recognition
- Specialty: Emergency DepartmentHours: 7p-7a and 11p-7a, every other weekend required
Adult Emergency Services is a Level One adult trauma center and tertiary facility with referrals from across the state. ED Techs partner with adult emergency nurses, board certified adult emergency medicine faculty, residents and physician assistants to provide expert family centered care for adults who present with injuries and illness across the range of acuity from minor to critical care. The department provides ED techs with an in-depth orientation, annual mandatory education, and continuing educational opportunities to include maintaining BLS and ACLS as well as the opportunity to audit TNCC and ENPC.
Michigan Medicine conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
Michigan Medicine improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
This job opening may be filled and closed any time after a posting duration of seven calendar days.
U-M EEO/AA Statement