Laboratory Technician, Female
Department Name Sport Science Program
Qatar University Profile
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
Sport Science Program Profile
Since its inception in 2011, the Sport Science Program has been growing rapidly regarding both the number of enrolled students and faculty members. It is composed of an international faculty including 1 full professor, 8 assistant professors, 3 teaching assistants, 1 lecturer and 2 administrative coordinators. It is the only academic Sport Science Program in Qatar and thrives to become a leading department in sport sciences regional. The Program's instruction is conducted in English language, covering a wide range of scientific disciplines, such as physiology, psychology, sociology, biomechanics, management, marketing, motor learning, and physical education. The Program offers three optional concentrations namely Physical Education, Exercise and Fitness and Sport Management.
The Program maintains close working relations with major institutions in Qatar including Qatar Olympic Committee, Qatar Olympic Academy ASPIRE, ASPETAR, Hamad Hospital and Doha British School.
The mission of our program is to “promote knowledge related to human movement in order to improve life quality”. The mission is accomplished by:
- providing students with knowledge, skills and abilities to improve health;
- preparing student to become future leaders in the public and private sectors in various related fields to sport, exercise and health; and
- engage students in sport, physical activity, exercise and health related research.
For more information about Sport Science Program at the College of Arts and Sciences, please visit the following webpage: http://www.qu.edu.qa/artssciences/sportscience/
Duties & Responsibilities
Candidate will be responsible of the following:
- Serve as the operator/technician of the Sport Science labs and manage the day-to-day lab duties for teaching, research and services
- Liaise with the teaching and research team to prepare the necessary equipment to be used (e.g., calibration)
- Scheduling and timetabling the laboratory activities between students usage and the teaching and research teams
- Keep up to date all consumables, repair and plan the service/maintenance of the laboratory equipment by liaising with different contractors, companies and providers
- Ensure a good and safe working environment in the laboratories
- Support the teaching and the research team when necessary, including working after normal working hours to accommodate research, consultancy projects and services
- Keep record of all equipment (regular inventory) and track the ones in and/or out of the labs
- Check weekly that the biological waste bins are not full – close/sign, dispose and change as necessary
- Develop expertise and competence in operating the equipment in order to conduct sport science-specific testing and also to induct relevant users
- Create assessment reports, including appropriate feedback recommendations following the tests.
- Play integral role in helping to develop and advance the sport science provision
- Prepare and/or keep up to date certification(s) depending on SSP needs.
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the Head of Department
- Master degree in Sport Science or in relevant discipline.
- Minimum of two years of experience working within sport science laboratory or with similar clients/patients in a professional setting.
- CPR and First Aid certification a must
- Competency in Microsoft Office and other basic computer skills.
- Running laboratory sessions – tests assessments.
- Experience operating specific Sport Science equipment and software related to exercise physiology, biomechanics, psychology, anatomy, motor learning, performance analysis, etc.
- Willingness to work with teams.
- Good written and oral communication skills – English is a requirement.
- Having certification related to sport sciences.
- Experience using ECG, EMG, Gas Analyzer (VO2max tests), Force Platform, 3D Motions Capture and Analysis, etc.
- Experience working within a research environment.
- Competency in Microsoft Outlook and calendar.
- Experience working with students.
- Awareness of working with people from diverse cultural backgrounds.
- Arabic language is an advantage.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Experience Certificates.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, a copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- Competitive tax-free salary.
- Housing allowance in accordance with HRM Law.
- Annual round trip air tickets for candidate and dependents according to HRM Law.
- Public health care and health insurance to candidate and family members.
- Annual leave in accordance with HRM Law.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete, you may use it to apply for an open Position.
Job Category Non-Academic
End Date of Advertisement 20-Feb-2019