Manager, Hospital Operations, Nurse Preferred
* Strongly prefer inpatient hospital experience providing clinical, operational and facility support.
Weekend position rotating days and nights.
The Operations Administrator represents the Chief Operating Officer with on-site operational leadership on a 24-hour basis (including weekends and holidays). He/she will have the authority to act on behalf of the Chief Operating Officer and Manager, Operations Administration. The Operations Administrator must act independently to provide crisis management, interpret policy, make timely decisions that directly impact patient care, ensure timely and effective communication and collaboration among departments, and provide operational oversight throughout the Hospital. He/she will be the administrative liaison to patients, families, health system employees and external customers.
Demonstrate judgment and self-sufficiency in effective problem solving while serving as the administrative and operational resource for the hospital.
- Intervene in situations involving patients, visitors, hospital staff and other external customers.
- Coordinate operations and personnel activities to meet CSU/Departmental, Hospital and Health System objectives related to the provision of services within designated areas.
- Maintain interface with departmental personnel to ensure there is adequate space and facilities for patient care and coordination of facilities.
- Oversee patient care flow while redirecting and allocating resources.
- Determine necessary space, equipment, supplies and support systems to ensure effective functioning of unit/department.
- Investigate patient/visitor concerns and implements appropriate courses of action.
- Take corrective action in situations requiring immediate intervention, including interpretation and administration of hospital policy and work rules.
- Intervene and problem solves for inter-/ intra-departmental issues. Facilitate interdepartmental communication, negotiation and decision-making.
- Obtain adequate facts and evaluates data to identify and intervene in actual and/or potential safety and risk management issues.
- Communicate pertinent information (verbal and/or electronic) in a timely manner to hospital administration and department leadership.
- Document pertinent information, actions and decisions and communicates to appropriate leadership.
- Communicate issues identified by front line staff to appropriate administrative team related to new administrative or departmental initiatives.
- Support clinical, operational and facility services throughout the entire Hospital on a 24-hour basis.
- Collaborate with clinical and support staff to foster delivery of quality care
- Coordinate triage activities, as needed, through communication with the Emergency Department, Bed Control and Chief Medical Officer
- Assist staff in identifying clinical experts for specific patient population concerns.
- Attend Code Five events and participates as needed; provide feedback for staff and completes QA report.
- Assist Patient Access Services in coordinating patient placement.
- Maintain visibility with hospital staff through rounds.
- Assist in evaluating and reassigning staff during crisis situations.
- Serve as Notary Public for assistance with advance directives (healthcare power of attorney and living will).
- Participate in JCAHO activities.
- Coach staff in problem solving, effective communication strategies, conflict resolution and career path opportunities.
- Provide on-site management/leadership of crisis situations to prevent or minimize disruption of services.
- Optimize resources to maintain facility operations.
- Monitor emergency action procedures and coordinate activities related to patient/staff evacuation as needed.
- Function as on-site coordinator for internal/external disasters or other major events.
- Assist with the initiation of the severe weather policy in conjunction with the COO and Administrative team
- Authorize financial assistant up to $100.00 for patient satisfiers and operational situations.
- Determine when AOC is notified for second level intervention.
Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Family Level H2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires graduation from an accredited master's degree program in either business or health-related field.
Work requires a minimum of five years of administrative experience combined with a minimum of two years clinical experience. OR ANY OTHER EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
MSN strongly preferred