Professor/Chair, Epidemiology and Public Health
Organization Name College of Medicine and Health Sciences
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu
Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. With three campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi, the University is home to the two internationally renowned Masdar and Petroleum Research Institutes.
Khalifa University launched the College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) on July 4th 2018. Establishment of the CMHS, the first medical college based in the city of Abu Dhabi, responds to the challenge of developing world-class healthcare in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates and region.
In the coming years, Khalifa University intends to roll out a range of degree programs in medicine and health sciences that will be offered through the CMHS.
By strengthening the university’s faculty base in these disciplines, Khalifa University will also expand its research portfolio, which currently includes medical genetics, genome sciences, bio-materials for nano-medicine, cellular biomechanics, bio-robotics, tissue regeneration, medical systems engineering, bioinformatics and artificial intelligence.
Academic Programs and Policies
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and faculty to plan, develop, implement, assess and improve courses, programs and services that support the College’s academic mission.
- Formulates and supports educational programs for the department in coordination with affiliate partners.
- Ensures adequate support, for all phases of the College’s education programs.
- Ensures the department’s academic activities are in alignment with accreditation guidelines;
- Supports the college’s medical student support services, including wellness and career guidance.
- Works with the Dean and Associate Deans to coordinate the clinical activities of the department.
- Maintains standards of care appropriate to the discipline.
- Ensures clinical faculty and residents comply with policies and procedures necessary to ensure the success of the academic program.
- Maintains a continuing review of the professional performance of all practitioners with clinical privileges in the department.
- Conveys to appropriate committees the department's recommendations concerning the appointment and reappointment of faculty, and the delineation of clinical privileges for all clinicians in the department.
- Works with the Dean, Associate Deans and Khalifa University’s Office of Research Support to develop research plans that align with the College’s mission and vision and address institutional priorities.
- Oversees and supports the development of research and research training programs for the CMHS.
- Supports and mentors departmental faculty who participate in research
Administrative & People Management
- In consultation with the Dean and Associate Deans, actively works with the Office of Human Resources to recruit and retain high quality faculty and staff for the department.
- Manages faculty and staff by defining job expectations; plans, monitors, and appraises faculty and staff performance; coaches, counsels and actively participates in the departmental employees’ on-boarding, mentoring and professional development.
- Schedules and assigns faculty workload allowing for an appropriate mix of participation in the College’s academic, clinical, research and service activities.
- Communicates the College’s and University's strategic goals and new policy developments to employees of the department.
- Recommends promotions, salary adjustments and other personnel actions to the Dean and Associate Deans.
- Provides information or prepares reports as and when needed.
- Ensures adherence to the University's information security policies and procedures, and reports breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Ensures coordination with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Performs any other tasks assigned by the Dean and his line managers.
- MD and/or PhD in a relevant field of study.
- Qualified for faculty appointment at the rank of Associate Professor or higher.
- Significant leadership experience as a chair, vice chair, division chief or program director in a relevant medical school department.
- Completed at least seven years of relevant academic experience, with at least two years in an administrative academic role.
- Demonstrable accomplishments in teaching, research, healthcare delivery, and/or service at a level commensurate of a Full Professor.
- Completion of a degree in management.
How To Apply
Applicants should submit an online application at http://www.ku.ac.ae/pages/careers. This position will have a joining date of September 2019. All applicants should submit an online application via the portal. A complete application includes curriculum vitae, teaching and research statement, cover letter, photo and the names and contact information of three references.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae)
Please submit your application before the deadline of 31 July 2019.