Research Associate/Senior Research Associate/Research Fellow in Software Defined Network
Research Associate/Senior Research Associate/Research Fellow in Software Defined Network & Network Virtualization, High Performance Networks
Division/School School of Computer Science, Electrical and Electronic Engineering and Engineering Maths
Contract type Open ended contract staff
Working pattern Full time
Salary £33,199-£37,345 (Grade I) £37,345-£42,036 (Grade J), £43,267-£48,677 (Grade K) per annum
Closing date for applications 30-Jun-2019
Please Note: This is a “rolling advert” with a nominal close date only. Applications are welcome at any time and the timing of the selection process will be dependent on the applications received.
We are looking for enthusiastic, self-motivated researchers and software developers to join an international group of researchers with various skills and expertise that collectively build software and hardware applications and systems for the next generation networks. The High Performance Networks (HPN) group, led by Professor Simeonidou, specializes in the application and development of advanced hardware and software technologies to future optical and packet networks for communications, data centre and smart city applications.
Our research is published in high-impact and high-visibility research venues and contributed to prominent standardization organizations. Furthermore, the HPN group features one of the largest and most illustrious test-bed facilities in Europe which enables experimenters to develop and evaluate innovative algorithms, protocols and systems. By joining the group, you will have the opportunity to work on state-of-the-art technologies, collaborate with top researchers in the field and participate in national and European projects comprised of both academic and industrial partners. You are expected to perform theoretical and experimental research on novel software and hardware systems for deeply programmable networks, produce scientific publications in collaboration with internal and external researchers and present your work at international conferences.
The group focuses on the following research topics, to which you can contribute:
- Software Defined Networks (SDN): network control protocols and algorithms, systems design, implementation and experimentation
- Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
- 5G/IoT multi-technology network ecosystem convergence and development
- Optical network control algorithms and protocols, systems design and experimentation
- Programmable hardware (FPGAs/NetFPGAs/P4): network hardware virtualization, hardware as a network function, high-performance agile and reconfigurable network interfaces
- Data Center NetworksThe HPN group provides an excellent multinational working environment. We encourage and support both individual as well as team working. Working with our team provides you with a lot of opportunities for high-impact contributions. The role of this advertisement for each applicant is determined based on relevant skills and experience.
This post is being offered on a full time, open-ended, with funding up to 11 August 2019 with the possibility of extension.
There is no formal closing date, but the start date for each post is flexible dependent on the circumstances of the successful candidates.
The employment start date is dependent on the circumstances of the successful candidates.
The University is committed to creating and sustaining a fully inclusive culture. We welcome applicants from all backgrounds and communities.