This position is responsible for understanding and analyzing a DUHS entity's income statement on a monthly basis. The position will be required to understand the many facets of the operations in order to effectively analyze the numbers. Position is also responsible for overall supervision of financial analysts within the department. Understanding of the income statement, budgets, capital, and operations are key responsibilities of this position.
- Supervise the Financial Analysts in the Department.
- Coordination of ad hoc analysis and reporting.
- Assist with training and development of financial analysts.
- Provide full project level support in the development of financial/operational analysis of programs, services, patient populations and Clinical Service Units.
- Provide assistance in the development of business plans by project champions.
- Provide financial analysis associated with business plans and any other capital requests.
- Directly support areas of responsibility of assigned operational leaders in providing a full range of financial support to assist them in the preparation and analysis of financial reports.
- Prepare and review monthly analysis of the income statement, including actual to budget review.
- Understand underlying transactions on income statement and investigate areas for improvement.
- Develop and review trend analysis to highlight unusual transactions.
- Assist in presentation at leadership meetings, as needed.
- Work closely with operations personnel to understand and document operational accounting issues (i.e., physical inventory counts, flow of transactions and effect on financial results).
- Assist in review of other departmental processes.
- Identify areas of improvement across and within processes.
- Respond in a timely fashion to operations requests for information and issue resolution.
- Assist in compiling and analyzing key performance indicators for the entity in relation to comparable organizations and annual targets.
- Complete and review various financial and statistical surveys.
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Access, Excel, Word, PowerPoint,
- Generally accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- This position will be required to work on simultaneous projects with minimal supervision from Finance leadership.
- Position will work closely on numerous projects with Financial Analysts, other DUHS Finance Managers, Corporate Finance, and General Accounting.
- Position will work closely with operational leaders on several projects; therefore, professionalism and knowledge of business are important at a high level.
- Position is also responsible for preparing documentation; therefore, good written communication skills are important.
Duke Entity DUKE HOSPITAL
Job Family Level H2
Full Time / Part Time FULL TIME
Regular / Temporary Regular
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
BA/BS in Business or Accounting or related business field.
This position requires three years or more of experience in financial accounting and reporting.
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
MBA, MHA or Certified Public Accountant is preferred.