Postdoctoral Researcher in Transnational Environmental Law
T.M.C. Asser Institute
Level of education PhD
Salary indication €3,637 to €4,978 gross per month
Closing date 30 January 2019
Hours 38 hours per week
The T.M.C. Asser Institute is a research centre for international and European law. Its mission is to contribute to the development of international and European law by conducting independent fundamental research, policy-oriented research, and applied legal research, as well as by initiating and facilitating academic and expert meetings, (professional) education, and public events with a view to disseminating knowledge of international and European law. The institute is dedicated to building a strong research community and creating an environment that facilitates critical-constructive reflection.
The Asser Institute, based in The Hague, is seeking an Postdoctoral researcher in Transnational Environmental Law available from 1 April 2019 to strengthen research capacity in our research strand on ‘Advancing Public Interests in International and European law’ and contribute to the ‘Doing Business Right’ project.
As an early-career researcher you are expected to:
- develop and execute high-level research projects independently;
- publish in the top international journals;
- participate in international seminars and conferences;
- coordinate development and execution of research projects in collaboration with other Asser researchers;
- contribute actively to the work of the research group and of the Asser research community;
- contribute to Asser’s knowledge dissemination activities;
- contribute to ‘third stream money’ funded research projects and their acquisition.
You are expected to meet the following requirements:
- a completed PhD in European or international law or socio-legal studies awarded by the deadline for applications;
- a demonstrated track record of academic publications;
- a specific interest in the role of private regulation and non-state actors in transnational environmental law will be an advantage;
- a specific interest in climate change related questions will be an advantage (e.g. sustainable finance, green bonds, climate justice);
- to be enthusiastic about contributing a stimulating and motivating research community;
- strong and relevant international network;
- knowledge of Dutch will be a great advantage;
- fluency in English;
- demonstrable organizational and communicative skills;
- willing to compete to attract external funding for research projects;
- be able to network efficiently and use social media effectively;
- be able to work under pressure, meet deadlines;
- quality-oriented, conscientious, cooperative and creative, result orientated.
Further information may be obtained from:
- Dr Antoine Duval LL.M.
You will be appointed at the University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam Law School, and seconded to the Asser Institute.
This appointment will be originally for the period of one year. Extension of the appointment is subject to satisfactory performance after the first year.
Salary scale: 11 according to the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities. Remuneration depends on the actual level of education, experience and knowledge with a maximum of €4.978 gross per month based on a full-time equivalent (38 hours). Secondary benefits at Dutch universities are attractive and include 8% holiday pay and an 8,3% end of year bonus.
The UvA is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We value a spirit of enquiry and endurance, provide the space to keep asking questions and cherish a diverse atmosphere of curiosity and creativity.
Please send your current CV, a cover letter in which you explain your motivation, a written piece of max. 25 pages (e.g. a published paper), two letters of recommendation in pdf, and a short research proposal (2000 words max), which sets out questions you would like to investigate during your stay at the institute, locates these in the relevant literature and indicates the method you intend to use to answer your research questions.
To apply for this vacancy, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must be submitted in English and addressed to Prof. Janne Nijman, Academic Director of the T.M.C. Asser Instituut.
Deadline for the application is 30 January 2019. #LI-DNP