Head of Internal Audit
Deadline: January 31st 2019 (position open until filled)
Summary of the Position
The University of Central Asia is seeking a Head of Internal Audit who will lead the Internal Audit Department. Key functions will include planning and undertaking audits in all areas/facets of UCA including construction. Deliverables include timely audit reports incorporating findings that identify potential risks and opportunities for improvement and make recommendations to ensure appropriate and adequate operation of the organizational processes, controls, governance and compliance with all relevant internal policies/procedures as well as external statutory and international requirements.
Understand and appreciate the sensitivity and confidentiality of information pertaining to UCA and individuals, and exercise the utmost integrity, caution and sense of responsibility with respect to handling the information during the course of audit and otherwise. Demonstrate the highest level of professionalism, observe the professional code of ethics of the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) and follow the established standards of audit in the performance of duties.
The position will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic. The Internal Auditor must be willing to travel or stay in any part of the UCA’s operating jurisdiction as may be required.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Update the comprehensive risk map of UCA and formulate a risk based annual audit plan in consultation with the Audit and Risk Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Undertake an independent assessment of UCA’s functions and programs, including analysis of risk management, governance, compliance (internal/external), adequacy of internal controls, and appropriateness of UCA’s policies and procedures, with a view to minimizsing the exposure and risks.
- Undertake internal audits as per the approved annual risk based audit plan at all UCA operational locations and develop/maintain appropriate working papers.
- Identify opportunities and make recommendations for management to consider for improvement of operational efficiencies and effectiveness and cost rationalization.
- Follow-up on implementation of agreed upon audit recommendations and corrective actions.
- Conduct special studies/investigations as requested by the Audit and Risk Committee or Senior Management.
- Prepare a quarterly report on all audit activities with key highlights divided into high, medium and low risk findings for discussion with the Audit and Risk Committee. The report shall include the actions agreed upon by/comments received from UCA Management, on all audits (internal and external), as well as the status of corrective action.
- Keep technical knowledge up-to-date and ensure adherence to the standards of best professional practice issued by the Institute of Internal Auditors and other such professional bodies.
- Disseminate knowledge/provide training to UCA staff at Head Office and campuses on self-assessment techniques, and the importance and relevance of maintaining adequate operational processes and controls.
- Any other assignment or task assigned by the Audit and Risk Committee or Senior Management.
Required Qualifications and Experience
Academic and Professional Qualification
- Recognised professional accounting designation such as Chartered Accountant (CA), Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Certified General Accountant (CGA), or Certified Management Accountant (CMA) with 10 to 15 years post-qualification experience.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Internal Audit at senior level.
- Additional professional certification such as Certified Internal Auditor (CIA) or Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) will be an added advantage.
Knowledge and Competencies
- Outstanding English language communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent computing skills and familiarity with computer-based audit techniques.
- Ability to work independently and as a team member.
- Effective management and leadership skills. Ability to work under pressure, multi-task and adhere to timelines.
- Ability to work in a variety of different cultural settings with culturally diverse groups.
- Up to date with the latest development in the field of Internal Audit.
- Understanding of a University’s functioning, construction processes and project management.
- Experience working internationally would be preferred
- Proficiency in Central Asian languages, particularly Russian, will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Please send a Cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 31st 2019. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Head of Internal Audit”. The position is open until filled.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Apply for Head of Internal Audit
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly