Senior Research Specialist
Starting Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,402 (commensurate with experience)
Employee group: Full Time
Schedule: 5 days a week and 8 hours per day
Exempt Status: Exempt
Location: 04-MD:School of Medicine Campus
Department name: 10002862-SOM OB GYN Gynecologic Pathology
Personnel area: School of Medicine
- Proficient Sr. Research Specialist with a sophisticated understanding of techniques and a solid foundation in the underlying science, gained from experience.
- Conducts experiments, contributes to the analysis of data and manuscript writing.
- Works independently and manages daily tissue bank and clinical research projects.
- Provides training to other individuals who join the lab.
- Will assist principal investigator in development and coordination of research projects, experimentation, data collection and analysis, and lab organization.
- Will participate in tissue banking efforts.
- Will work with PI to direct all other aspects of the laboratory.
- 30% of time performs clinical and/or research lab tests and experiments.
- Follows established procedures and protocols, utilize appropriate technique to design and perform clinical and laboratory test/experiments.
- 35% of time participates in tissue bank-related tasks.
- 10% of time participate in executing IRB, MTA applications
- 10% of time reports and records outcomes/results of all tests.
- 5% of time monitors biohazard/radiation safety standards and proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents/radiation sources.
- 10% of time responsible for operational activities such as; ordering supplies and materials, reviewing inventory, maintaining up to date records of tests, performing preventative maintenance of equipment, proper storage of materials and supplies.
- Bachelor's degree in biology, chemistry or related field.
- Four years’ experience in a comparable laboratory performing relevant techniques.
- Master's degree, with related graduate research, may substitute for experience to the extent permitted by the JHU equivalency formula.
JHU Equivalency Formula:
30 undergraduate degree credits (semester hours) or 18 graduate degree credits may substitute for one year of experience. Additional related experience may substitute for required education on the same basis. For jobs where equivalency is permitted, up to two years of non-related college course work may be applied towards the total minimum education/experience required for the respective job.
- Overseeing and coordinating the educational activities of new trainees including clinical and research fellows as well as undergraduate students.
- Provide constructive feedback and coaching.
The successful candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check.
If you are interested in applying for employment with The Johns Hopkins University and require special assistance or accommodation during any part of the pre-employment process, please contact the HR Business Services Office at firstname.lastname@example.org. For TTY users, call via Maryland Relay or dial 711.
The following additional provisions may apply depending on which campus you will work. Your recruiter will advise accordingly.
During the Influenza ("the flu") season, as a condition of employment, The Johns Hopkins Institutions require all employees who provide ongoing services to patients or work in patient care or clinical care areas to have an annual influenza vaccination or possess an approved medical or religious exception. Failure to meet this requirement may result in termination of employment.
The pre-employment physical for positions in clinical areas, laboratories, working with research subjects, or involving community contact requires documentation of immune status against Rubella (German measles), Rubeola (Measles), Mumps, Varicella (chickenpox), Hepatitis B and documentation of having received the Tdap (Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis) vaccination. This may include documentation of having two (2) MMR vaccines; two (2) Varicella vaccines; or antibody status to these diseases from laboratory testing. Blood tests for immunities to these diseases are ordinarily included in the pre-employment physical exam except for those employees who provide results of blood tests or immunization documentation from their own health care providers. Any vaccinations required for these diseases will be given at no cost in our Occupational Health office.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Postings are updated daily and remain online until filled.
EEO is the Law
Important legal information