Lecturer in Humanities and Social Sciences Curriculum Education
Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education, Graduate School of Education
- Tenurable appointment, Level B ($97,310 - $115,3500 p.a.) plus 17% superannuation
- Opportunity to teach Humanities and Social Sciences (HASS) Curriculum Education at tertiary level
- HASS teaching experience in Secondary school required
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
About the team
Education has been a keystone of the University of Western Australia for over 100 years. Today, the Graduate School of Education maintains a tradition of excellence while taking on the challenges of developing educational practices for both global and local needs. The School attracts the highest quality academic, research and professional staff who work collaboratively with talented educators to positively impact on the lives of young people.
About the opportunity
In this role, you will undertake teaching, unit coordination, research, and Higher Degree student supervision in collaboration with colleagues and under the direction of the Head of School of Graduate School of Education. Your teaching responsibilities will be focused on the Master of Teaching Secondary in the HASS curriculum units as well as in other Education units as required.
To succeed in this role, it is essential that you possess:
- A minimum of a Masters degree, a PhD or EdD in Education or in a relevant HASS discipline
- Recent experience teaching HASS in Secondary schools
- The ability to teach all aspects of the HASS secondary curriculum
- The ability to contribute to other teaching units at the GSE, preferably one of the following: " EDUC1103 Education for Global Knowledge Society "; " EDUC5515 Interventions for Learning in Years 7-12"; " EDUC5410 Literacy and Numeracy Across the Curriculum"
- A developing research profile in a relevant field
The following skills and experience are desirable:
- Experience in teaching at tertiary level
- Experience supervising Higher Degree by Research students
It is a requirement of this position to possess or be able to obtain a Working With Children Check.
Perth is regularly ranked in the top 10 most liveable cities in the world. In 2017, Perth was ranked the 7th most liveable city in the world by The Economist – and with good reason! Perth enjoys an average of nine hours of sunshine per day and enjoys 131 perfectly blue-skyed days a year. Perth is beautifully located on the banks of the Swan River with King’s Park just steps away from the Central Business District. Perth boasts 19 pristine white sand beaches directly on the Indian Ocean as well as two world-class wine regions within a three hour drive: the Swan Valley, one of Australia’s oldest wine regions, and Margaret River, home to over 200 wineries.
Benefits and Conditions of Employment:
- Employer contribution to superannuation (retirement fund) is 17% of salary
- Recreation leave of 20 working days per annum
- Long Service Leave after 10 years
- Eligibility for a 6 month sabbatical leave every 3 years
- Relocation assistance including airfares, relocation allowance and short-term accommodation (if applicable)
This position is open to international applicants who require visa sponsorship.
Closing date: Sunday, 6 January 2019
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.