Human Resources Legal Adviser
At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Are you a fully-fledged legal adviser, specialised in international administrative law, with demonstrated experience in human resource matters? Contribute your skills and knowledge in the largest particle physics laboratory in the world, an Intergovernmental Organization at the forefront of research. CERN, take part!
You will join the Legal Advice Section in charge of providing expert legal advice on a wide range of HR-related matters.
You will report to the management of HR Department and will work in close cooperation with institutional law practitioners in CERN’s Legal Service.
Specifically, you will:
- Play a key role in working groups for the revision of primary and subsidiary legislation.
- Draft primary and subsidiary legislation and draft amendments to existing legal instruments.
- Provide legal advice on the review, interpretation and application of the Staff Rules and Regulations and related documents.
- Provide legal advice on HR policy matters and procedures.
- Provide legal advice on internal disputes and disciplinary proceedings.
- Handle cases on behalf of the Organization before CERN’s internal dispute resolution and disciplinary boards.
- Perform legal research and analysis for the preparation of legal opinions, internal memoranda or official correspondence.
Master's degree or PhD or equivalent relevant experience in the field of international public or administrative law or a related field of law.
- Extensive experience as a legal adviser in an international organization or in a law firm, practicing international or administrative law, in the field of Human Resources.
- Knowledge of International Administrative Law (law of the International Civil Service).
- Drafting and writing of official documents (legal drafting).
- Knowledge of administrative rules and procedures specific to International organizations.
- Knowledge of Employment Law would be an asset.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: proposing ways to improve or streamline existing procedures, processes and methodologies.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and speak both languages in professional contexts as well as the ability to draft texts for publications and/or official communications and to make oral presentations in both languages.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States. (https://home.cern/about/member-states)
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 03.02.2019
Contract type: Limited duration contract (5 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 6-7
Job reference: HR-DHO-LA-2018-128-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Legal Adviser
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further