Postdoctoral Fellow in Aerospace Engineering
Organization Name Aerospace Engineering
The Department of Aerospace Engineering, which is an academic unit within the College of Engineering, offers a unique undergraduate degree program in Aerospace Engineering. The Department also has a growing graduate student population, with students enrolled on both Masters and PhD programs. Currently the Department has 14 faculty, undertaking research in areas that include computational aerodynamics, astronautics, combustion dynamics, damage detection, materials and structures, manufacturing and miniature UAVs.
Detailed information can be found at:
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Since the Postdoctoral experience is transitional to becoming an independent researcher or faculty member, the Postdoctoral tries their best to acquire the varied skills necessary to advance their career with guidance from the advisor. These skills include, but are not limited to, the ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication, the ability to understand research group management and supervision of others, the ability to establish contacts and network with colleagues pursuing a similar research agenda, the ability to organize and teach a class or a course if more inclined towards a teaching career.
- The successful applicant will foster the engagement of Khalifa University in an area of space mission design that is internationally prioritized because it will help fill important gaps in our understanding of the Solar System and its history. He/she will promote this field of research in the Country, particularly within the aerospace sector represented by the UAE Space Agency and the local industry, and will stimulate the interest of a wider public towards scientific and engineering knowledge.
- The successful candidate will perform research in the field of trajectory design for the robotic exploration of the outer planets systems. In particular, he/she will undertake the following tasks:
- Identifying and implementing strategies to achieve the gravitational capture around the giant planets;
- Designing time- and fuel-optimal trajectories to explore their major moons sequentially and with a repeatable pattern, position the spacecraft in scientifically-useful orbits;
- Doing all the above by taking into account the constraints imposed by the planetary environment, the scarcity of solar energy and the requirements set by the communication link with the Deep Space Network;
- Developing solutions that can be adopted in the design of future space missions to the giant planets.
- The successful applicant is expected to work independently on the assigned tasks, guide graduate students in their research, collaborate with the rest of the research group and with international partners, assist with preparation of research proposals, document research results in refereed journal publications and present them at conferences and to the general public.
- The postdoctoral fellow will work in close collaboration with PhD and MSc students and will help coordinate and supervise their research activities
- PhD in Aerospace Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Applied Mathematics or equivalent
- Expertise in astrodynamics and celestial mechanics is a must. In particular, the successful candidate must hold proved research experience in several of the following areas: spacecraft trajectory design with gravity assist, multi-body dynamics (three-, four- and n-body problem), trajectory optimization, low-energy transfers, maneuver design, orbital propagation, orbit perturbations.
- An emerging, high-quality publications record in this field is required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills are indispensable.
How To Apply
Note: You will be required to attach the following:
- Passport-size photograph
- Teaching and Research Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).
Apply for Postdoctoral Fellow in Aerospace Engineering
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly