Research Assistant in Environmental Sciences
- Salary Package: From $65,164 to $70,232 (pro-rata) p.a. (Hew 4), plus 9.5% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: Part-time (2 days/week), 1-year fixed term with a possibility of an extension
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic Research Assistant. The role will involve the preparation and analysis of household dusts from residential environments using portable XRF as part of Macquarie University’s DustSafe project. DustSafe is an Australian and international focussed project funded by the Australian Federal Government Department of Industry, Innovation and Science Citizen Science grants program.
The successful candidate will:
- Prepare and analysis dust samples using portable XRF.
- Maintain and update the physical sample database and online trace element database.
- Work with postgraduates, undergraduates and community persons in relation to the program.
- Oversee the use of the project’s portable XRF equipment.
About the Project
Greater urbanisation means people are spending up to 90% of their time indoors. Consequently, environmental health risks are dominated by fine dust particles from indoor air aerosols. Dust can contain harmful agents that penetrate deep into lungs and migrate into the blood stream. Information on the composition and risks associated with house dust is largely absent and households do not know how to reduce risks.
This project will address this knowledge gap by engaging with citizens to submit vacuum dust samples for chemical and biological analysis. Participants will be able to assess, interpret and understand their results using interactive web tools. Remedial actions and advice on what to do next will be linked to participant results.
Drawing on your experience gained in a similar role, ideally within a tertiary environment, you will be experienced working on research projects. You will have experience in collecting, preparing and analysing dust and soil samples from a range of environments. You will be trained and have strong experience in the use of portable XRF equipment and related research skills. If you are an excellent communicator with a proactive nature and are flexible and resilient in your approach, then this is a role you will thrive in.
We are amongst the leading institutions in Australia in environmental sciences. In the Department of Environmental Sciences our research program covers:
- Catchments, rivers, wetlands and coasts
- Climate and paleoenvironmental sciences
- Energy technologies
- Environmental contaminants
Our dynamic and dedicated academics and research students’ study and teach the interactions between the physical, biological and human environments. We produce work-ready graduates and have significant external impact and engagement with government, industry and community, both in Australia and internationally.
To be considered for this position, please apply online and attach your resume and a separate cover letter that outlines how you meet to the selection criteria below:
- A tertiary degree in Environmental Sciences or an equivalent relevant experience and/or education/training
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to prepare, analyse and report contaminants from air and dust sources
- Demonstrated skills in database search with an ability to analyse data using appropriate data analysis software/s
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Experience working in a team-based environment with the ability to relate to and engage with other staff and students across diverse backgrounds
Specific Role Enquiries: Professor, Mark Taylor on email email@example.com or phone 02 9850 4221
Applications Close: Wednesday, 19 December 2018 at 11:55 pm AEST
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.