Information Technology Support Officer
Division/School IT Support
Contract type Open Ended
Working pattern Part time
Salary £33,199 - £37,345 per annum pro rata
Closing date for applications 18-Dec-2018
This is an exciting career development opportunity for an IT Support Officer (part-time) to work as part of a new Faculty IT Support (FITS) Team within our Support group.
You will report to the FITS Team Manager or designated deputy and will be responsible for improving first and second line technical support.
This will include liaising with colleagues in other teams within IT Services as well as other Divisions of Professional Services.
This role will initially be based in the FITS Team that provide support to the Professional Services Division and the Faculties of Arts; and Social Sciences and Law. Initially the role will be to provide support to the Faculties of Arts; and Social Sciences and Law. However, over time you may be asked to work permanently or temporarily to cover the other areas of support required of the team, or within other teams in the Support Group.
The role is 3 days per week, anticipated to be Monday - Wednesday but this can be discussed in detail at interview.
As an IT Support Officer, you will need to:
- Perform hardware/software fault diagnosis and resolution.
- Place orders and liaise with suppliers.
- Coordinate equipment moves.
- Build new devices and issue to users – Windows, macOS, Linux, mobile platforms.
- Liaise with more senior members of the team and other teams within IT Services.
- Be responsible for lifecycle management of devices in the assigned areas, including arranging orders for new stock, redeployment of devices within the University and coordinating equipment disposal via standard processes.
- You should have good experience of a variety of platforms and their interoperability, including (but not limited to) Windows, Linux and macOS, and hardware in different configurations, e.g. end-user workstations, single-purpose devices, etc.
- The post may require supervision of daily work and projects for junior members of the team, such as h/w replacement cycles for a faculty/school/building.
- Ensure the Faculty IT Support Team works with the Service Desk and 3rd Line Support teams to enhance and improve the services that underpin research and teaching activities.
- Work under broad direction, being fully accountable for own work.
- Develop and maintain technical service/solution documentation as used by members of the Faculty IT Teams, the Service Desk and 3rd Line Support teams, as well as user facing documentation.
- Act as a Technical Service Manager for one or more services.
- Contribute to 3rd line support for incidents/issues reported to IT Services, ensuring swift resolution and undertaking any remedial follow up activities.
- Maintain a strong network of contacts with stakeholders and the teams in Support and IT Services.
- Be an advocate for user needs, whilst being prepared to constructively challenge wants expressed as needs.
- Maintain a culture of continuous improvement to enhance service delivery within the team.
- Mentor more junior members of the Faculty IT Team.
- Work with the other IT teams to ensure services are delivered consistently across all areas of the Support group, contributing to developing policy and standard processes as and when necessary.
Interviews will be held early January 2019.
We appreciate and value difference, seeking to attract, develop and retain a diverse mix of talented people that will contribute to the overall success of Bristol and help maintain our position as one of the world’s leading universities.