Educational Developer (Learning and Teaching)
EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPER (LEARNING AND TEACHING)
DEPARTMENT: INSTITUTE OF LEADERSHIP & EDUCATION ADVANCED DEVELOPMENT (ILEAD)
ACADEMIC DISCIPLINE: EDUCATIONAL DEVELOPMENT
POSITION TITLE: Educational Developer (Learning and Teaching)
LOCATION: SUZHOU CAMPUS
SALARY: 21,611 – 39,867 RMB/month
POSITION OPEN DATE: 3 December 2018
ADVERTISEMENT CLOSING DATE: 18 February 2019
JOB ID: 995563
CONTRACT TYPE: Full-time
UNIVERSITY AND DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW:
Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University (XJTLU) is a unique collaborative institution, the first and currently the only university in China to offer both UK (University of Liverpool) and Chinese (Ministry of Education) accredited undergraduate degrees. Formed in 2006, the first cohort of students graduated in August 2010. The University now has over 10,000 students studying on campus. The language of instruction is English. XJTLU aims to become truly research-led, and has recently committed significant investment into research development and the expansion of PhD student numbers on campus.
XJTLU is located in the Higher Education Town of Suzhou Industrial Park (SIP). Suzhou has been ranked the 74th most liveable city in the 2018 Global Liveability Index. Additionally, it is well-connected via nearby airports to cities such as Hong Kong, Seoul, Tokyo, and Taipei, and via high-speed rail to other major cities in China. SIP is a major growth zone, including operations run by nearly one-fifth of the Fortune 500 top global companies. Greater Suzhou is now the fourth largest concentration of economic activity in China in terms of GDP, and the SIP has a higher GDP per capita than the UK. The broader Suzhou area encompasses the spirit of both old and new in China, with the historic old town’s canals, UNESCO World Heritage Site gardens, and the I.M. Pei-designed Suzhou Museum attracting millions of tourists annually. SIP offers an excellent quality of life with high environmental standards. The nearby Jinji Lake provides attractive views, by day and by night, and there is a variety of shopping facilities, international and local restaurants, entertainment hubs and nightlife. Suzhou is also home to four international schools.
ILEAD is a unique and leading center for education innovation, development, and education of educators (degree programmes) in education globally. Its key customers include XJTLU students, XJTLU staff, as well as local, regional, national and international educational practitioners and institutions. The main business of ILEAD includes:
- Pedagogical programmes (Postgraduate Taught and PhD degree programmes)
- Support for XJTLU student learning
- Educational and professional development for XJTLU staff
- Global community for education innovation
- Training and development initiatives for external educators and professionals in education sector
- Research on future university (internationalization, learning and teaching, educational leadership, educational management).
The Educational Development Unit is one of the key academic units within ILEAD. The unit is responsible for the educational and professional development for XJTLU academic staff by running the Certificate of Professional Studies in learning and teaching, which is accredited by Higher Education Academy in UK. The unit also includes an educational technology team that support the overall educational technological development as well as the use of technology of staff in learning and teaching activities.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES:
A key responsibility of this post is to support delivery of the institutional academic development programmes primarily, the Certificate in Professional Studies in Learning and Teaching in Higher Education (CPS) and the PGCert in Teaching and Supporting Learning in Higher Education (commencing 2018-19), and other CPD programmes.
Responsibilities excluding those highlighted above
- Support the implementation, across the institution, of the University’s vision for Learning and Teaching.
- Delivery of modules on the CPS programme.
- Delivery of modules on the PGCert programme from the start of the academic year 2018-19 onwards.
- Support the development of an institutional academic development framework and ready relevant documentation for approval by the respective committees at XJTLU and the University of Liverpool, as well as accreditation by the Higher Education Academy (HEA).
- Provide expert and specialist advice and guidance to academic staff in developing excellence in teaching with a primary view of enhancing the student learning experience at XJTLU.
- Develop collaborative networks to identify and disseminate good practices in teaching and learning and evaluates their effectiveness.
- Recommend, lead and facilitate the effective sharing of good practices in assessments and other student evaluation.
- Act as a consultant/coach to academic staff seeking to enhance the quality of their teaching.
- Maintain and develop resources, including websites and other tools that facilitate national and international good practice in learning and teaching.
- Work closely with staff in other professional services to promote the use of appropriate technologies, facilities and methods in learning and teaching.
- Work collaboratively with the ILEAD, to contribute to achieving the strategic ambitions of the University in relation to academic enhancement and excellence in learning, teaching and research, and to contribute to achieving the ILEAD’s ongoing operational objectives.
- Keep up-to-date with changes and developments in related policies and procedures.
- Reflect on your own professional practice and keep abreast of current developments in learning and teaching through engagement with the wider community via subject associations, attendance and presentations at conferences, colloquiums and personal development days.
- Willing to engage in personal development and training and change the focus of the role, where appropriate, to meet the changing needs of the University.
- Engage with relevant committees, working groups and forums to raise awareness of pedagogic principles, share examples of best practice and highlight developments in the field.
- Carry out any other duties as required, commensurate with the role position.
- Relevant expertise in the area of educational development in higher education institutions, particularly for learning and teaching.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work in a diverse and dynamic environment where cross team or department collaboration is encouraged
- PhD degree in educational development or related area
- Experience in educational development in higher educational institutions
- In-depth knowledge of innovation and advanced development of educational development
- Evidence of positive contribution to the general operation of an academic institution
Members of Academic Staff are entitled to subsidies for accommodation, travel, and children’s educational, medical insurance, and a one-time relocation allowance is provided. Overseas staff may receive a tax “holiday,” depending on nationality and personal circumstances.
CITIZENSHIP AND VISA REGULATIONS:
Employment at Xi’an Jiaotong-Liverpool University is regulated by Chinese Labour Laws, and must comply with the regulations of the provincial government. These regulations stipulate who is eligible for legal employment with regard to obtaining work permits and visas. Please be advised candidates over 55 may be not eligible for PRC work visa.
Please send your application to AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. In the subject line write the Positon you are applying for and quote the job ID number for reference.
Applications must be submitted in a single pdf file that includes 3 parts in the order of:
- A cover letter
- Contact Details for Three References
- A current CV, including date of birth, country of citizenship, and highest degree level
Applications should be received by the closing date stated above.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to the Staff Management Team at AcademicPositions@xjtlu.edu.cn. Please quote the position and job ID in your enquiry.