OPTUS Chair/Professor, Artificial Intelligence
- 5 years fixed term - Optus Chair position including continuing Professor (ALE) Teaching & Research position
- A competitive salary will be offered plus 17% superannuation
- Relocation provided for you and your immediate family
Curtin University is ranked in the top 1% universities worldwide (ARWU 2018 and QS World University Rankings 2019), and is placed 20th in the world for universities less than 50 years old (QS Top 50 Under 50 2019). Curtin is WA’s most preferred university, with highly engaged industry-facing partners. Curtin University is a major global player, with well-integrated campuses in Singapore, Malaysia, Mauritius and Dubai.
Curtin University and Optus Business
Curtin University and Optus Business have recently formed an alliance to collaborate in research in the Artificial Intelligence field. The focus of the collaboration will be in the impact of artificial intelligence on regional telecommunications, higher education and the urban environment.
The five-year alliance will develop an artificial intelligence research group embedded in the School of Electrical Engineering, Computing and Mathematical Sciences at Curtin University, with strong links to the Curtin Institute for Computation. The alliance will leverage synergies between Curtin’s excellent research, teaching and learning capabilities, and Optus’ market-leading technology and infrastructure capabilities.
Your new role
As the Optus Chair/Professor in Artificial Intelligence, you will play a leading role in leading a team of three Optus Research Fellows, and HDR students focusing on applying artificial intelligence technologies in the key areas.
Your role is to build algorithms, models and large scale systems that solve problems including but not limited to telco management, transportation, urban planning, real time crowd management, retail intelligence etc. using telco and other data sources.
You will be involved in the recruitment of the Fellows and Students.
Please review the Candidate Information Booklet.
You will bring to this
- Doctoral qualification in electrical engineering, computer science or relevant discipline to this position.
- Demonstrated leadership of integrated research activity both within and across groups in academic and/or applied research.
- Proven record of world-leading research in artificial intelligence, in particular machine learning, including ground-breaking research in internationally visible research projects.
- Strong cooperation skills and ability to work in a team; successful candidates are expected to collaborate with colleagues from around the University on applying AI to other disciplines.
- An excellent record of obtaining research income, including competitive research grants, industry funding, or other R&D support mechanisms.
- An established and significant record of publication in high quality peer-reviewed journals, consistent with leadership in the field, including recent leadership of high impact publications.
- Evidence of a leading international reputation and profile, and significant citation indices or equivalent esteem measures, as appropriate to the field.
- Proven leadership and mentoring of academic staff in relation to professional development, and significant experience of providing supervision to Higher Degree by Research students.
What we offer you
Curtin University offers a competitive remuneration and benefits package, a friendly and collaborative work environment, generous leave entitlements, flexible working arrangements, a relocation allowance, generous superannuation, salary-packaging arrangements including childcare, and the potential to support dual-career arrangements.
What we need from you
You are encouraged to respond specifically to the selection criteria.
Applications close: 5 pm, Monday 31 December 2018
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
Valuing Diversity and Inclusion
At Curtin, we are committed to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander reconciliation, diversity and social justice and aim to create an inclusive environment where our staff and students are valued and inspired. This includes a supportive recruitment process should you require any access assistance.
Curtin University has a bold vision to be one of the leading institutions in the Asia-Pacific region. Curtin is now entering an exciting phase as it focuses on further building its research capacity, and improving its already strong reputation for innovation in learning and teaching.
Explore some more
To apply complete the application form below, or for more information contact:
Lily Dewse - People Capability Consultant, Faculty Science and Engineering.
Phone: +61 8 9266 4774
Curtin reserves the right at its sole discretion to withdraw from the recruitment process, not to make an appointment, or to appoint by invitation, at any time.