Associate Lecturer, Education Focused, School of Computer Science
School of Computer Science
Faculty Engineering and Information Technologies
- Up to three Education Focused Opportunities in the School of Computer Science
- Full-time, Fixed term for 3 years, Located at Camperdown Campus
- Base Salary: $92k-$98k plus leave loading and a generous employer’s contribution to superannuation.
About the opportunity
Education-focused is a specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design.
As an Associate Lecturer (Education-focused) you’ll contribute to the teaching and learning efforts within the School while working with the support and guidance of more senior academic staff to develop your education proficiency. In this role you will dedicate the majority of your contribution to education (up to 70% - or 80% by mutual agreement - of your academic workload allocation with the remaining 20% on school related curriculum activities and leadership).
The position is expected to make significant contribution in coordinating and delivering the core teaching of units at both undergraduate and postgraduate level, primarily in the areas of: Programming, Software Development, Security, Human-Computer Interaction and Information Systems. The position is also expected to engage with and contribute to school and faculty teaching/learning activities and processes.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for an Associate Lecturer (Education-focused) with:
- At least a Master degree or PhD in Computer Science or closely related area
- demonstrable track record in quality teaching in 3 or more of the following areas: Programming, Software Development, Security, Human-Computer Interaction and Information Systems.
- Demonstrated successful previous experiences in coordinating large classes with a team of Teaching Assistants and tutors will be highly regarded.
- A demonstrated capacity to teach in core Computer Science subjects in the area of Programming, Software Development, Security, Human-Computer Interaction and Information Systems, at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Previous teaching experience and demonstrated potential to take responsibility for curriculum development and design, course coordination, and assessment.
- A developing knowledge and understanding of contemporary pedagogical practice and design
Established as the first computer science department in Australia in the 1960s, the school is research intensive and has a strong tradition of research-led teaching. The school prides itself in its successful integration and cross-fertilisation of computer science, information systems, and software engineering at both research and teaching levels. It offers undergraduate majors in computer science, information systems, software engineering (in collaboration with the School of Electrical and Information Engineering) and combined programs with business, arts, science, and medical science. The School of Computer Science also offers highly regarded postgraduate coursework degrees in Data Science, information technology and information technology management.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ more than 6,000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 2364/1118F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 7 Jan 2018 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Computer Science Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Camperdown
- Fixed Term Education Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Camperdown
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Camperdown
- Fixed Term Social Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Camperdown