Economics/Management Postdoctoral Fellowship
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Institute for Quantitative Social Science (IQSS) / Laboratory for Innovation Science at Harvard University (LISH)
The Laboratory for Innovation Science at Harvard University (LISH) is soliciting applications for one or more post-doctoral fellowships aimed towards quantitative and experimental social science (economics, management, psychology and sociology). LISH is a Harvard-wide research program lead by faculty co-directors Karim Lakhani, Harvard Business School; Eva Guinan, Harvard Medical School; and David Parkes, Harvard School of Engineering and Applied Sciences. LISH is an interdisciplinary research lab that is focused on developing a science of innovation through the application of quantitative and field experimental methods on innovation problems faced by our partners (NASA, Harvard Medical School, Broad Institute, Department of Defense Research Labs, TopCoder and various corporations). Current research topics for the lab include incentives for innovation, governance and management of innovation systems, and creativity and problem solving. Our work is primarily empirical; a typical project will involve: conceiving a suitable research question, designing a suitable field experiment, working with collaborating partners, analyzing historical data, analyzing experimental data and writing papers.
The Post-Doctoral Fellow will work under the supervision of LISH Directors and affiliated faculty and will have the opportunity to collaborate with LISH staff, postdocs, and doctoral students. The Fellow will assist LISH faculty on a new NSF sponsored project aimed at understanding the impact of Autonomous Vehicles (AVs) on the productivity of knowledge workers. The tasks included in this project will range from the analysis to existing time-use data, to the design of new surveys and field experiments.
The position has no teaching or administrative duties.
LISH is looking for candidates with diverse backgrounds and/or new perspectives.
This is a grant-funded position expected to last for three years with reappointments made annually.
- A PhD in economics, management, psychology, sociology, computer science and or a related field is required. PLEASE NOTE: If you have obtained your Ph.D. in the past 12 months you must be able to provide a certificate of completion from the degree-granting institution OR a letter from the institute’s registrar stating all requirements for the degree have been successfully completed and should verify the date the degree has been conferred. No exceptions.
- Experimental design: treatment selection, power analysis
- Statistical analysis: panel data methods, linear and generalized linear regression
- Strong quantitative skills with proficiency in a suitable numerical analysis environment, e.g., MATLAB, R, or, Stata
- Programming/scripting knowledge suitable for processing raw data for analysis, e.g., text manipulation
- Strong team player with excellent communication skills
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Please email the following to Nina Cohodes, firstname.lastname@example.org with subject “NSF Post-Doctoral Fellowship”.
- Curriculum vitae
- Copy of academic records (unofficial records are acceptable)
- 2-page description of relevant experience
- Job market paper or one or two research papers
- Provide at least two letters of recommendation
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.