Systems Administrator, Operations
- Full Time
Location : Manchester
Closing Date : 13/12/2018
Salary : £32,236 to £39,609 per annum
Employment Type : Fixed Term
Faculty / Organisational Unit : Professional Support Services
Division : ITS Service Delivery & Infrastructure
Hours Per week : Full time
Contract Duration : As soon as possible for 2 years
About IT Services
IT Services at the University of Manchester is a vibrant and fast moving department, we focus on delivering excellent customer service and quality services for our staff, students and researchers.
Find out more about our organisation and values:
An opening has arisen for an experienced Linux Desktop Systems Administrator to join the University of Manchester IT Services Desktop and Applications delivery team.
As a Systems Administrator you will support and manage the delivery of an integrated and effective Linux service to users in support of the University’s key aims of excellence in research, teaching and learning.
You will work with colleagues within IT Services to deliver and support a high-quality Linux infrastructure, supporting primarily desktops and occasionally servers.
You will have expertise in the installation, configuration and management of both Linux desktops and servers.
You will have a high standard of communication, prioritisation and problem solving skills and a flexible, co-operative and creative approach to work.
A few of the key responsibilities, accountabilities and duties of this role are listed below:
- Specification, installation, configuration and administration of Linux server and desktop operating systems.
- Investigate and resolve Linux desktop/server issues.
- Provide specialist technical advice as required by the local academic and administrative community.
- Carry out agreed routine operational procedures, including installation, commissioning, maintenance and patching of virtual machines and/or application software, using standard operating procedures and tools.
- Provide specialist support for desktop applications.
In addition to the person specification criteria, essential knowledge, skills and experience required for this role are:
- Red hat (Scientific Linux) based Linux administration knowledge. Including use of automation technologies such as Ansible, Spacewalk, Kickstart, Puppet, SCCM.
- BASH scripting and Perl and/or Python programming knowledge.
- NIS/OpenLDAP knowledge and the use of command line LDAP tools.
- Knowledge of Open Source network monitoring tools such as Nagios and Cacti.
- IP networking knowledge and troubleshooting skills including IPTables, local firewall skills, BIND DNS Server and DHCPD under Linux.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience include:
- Knowledge of MySQL server database technology.
- Knowledge of System Management of Linux/MacOSX using SCCM 2012+
- Knowledge of Experience of using/ administering ELOG Linux Work Log tooling for documentation.
- Experience of working in a higher education research environment is desirable but not essential.
- Also highly desirable is experience of managing and supporting Linux in a research environment.
As an equal opportunities employer, we welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons. As the School is committed to Athena SWAN principles, we would particularly welcome applications from women, who are currently under-represented at this grade. All appointments will be made on merit.
Please note that we are unable to respond to enquiries, accept CVs or applications from Recruitment Agencies
Enquiries about the vacancy, shortlisting and interviews:
Manager: Chris Mallon
Tel: 0161 275 0640
Tel: 0161 850 2004
Tel: 0161 275 4499
This vacancy will close for applications at midnight on the closing date