Postdoctoral Researcher in Regulation of Human NK Cell Differentiation
Karolinska Institutet, The Department of Medicine, Huddinge
We are seeking a highly motivated and ambitious individual to join the research group of Yenan Bryceson as a Postdoctoral Fellow to further elucidate the molecular regulation of human NK cell differentiation and memory.
The research and the research group
Previously considered an arm of the innate immune system, recent studies from our group (Schlums, Cichocki et al., Immunity 2015; Corat, Schlums et al., Blood 2017; Schlums, Jung et al., Blood 2017; Wu et al., Sci Immunol 2018) as well as others have uncovered distinct NK cell differentiation and memory processes. We seek further understanding of NK cell-dependent immunological memory, which potentially can be harnessed for cellular cellular immunotherapy of cancer. A successful postdoctoral candidate will explore novel molecular aspects of human NK cell biology, derived from transcriptional and epigenetic analyses as well as insights from studies of primary immunodeficiency patients. Methods will include advanced flow cytometry and sorting, analyses of chromatin structure and epigenetic modifications, single-cell RNA-seq, genetic manipulation, and functional analyses.
The research group is based at the Center of Hematology and Regenerative Medicine (HERM), Karolinska Institutet. HERM consists of approximately 90 research fellows and is a nationally leading and internationally competitive environment for studies of the human immune system in the context of malignancy and infectious diseases.
The vision is to become one of the leading translational research centers within hematopoiesis and immunity in Europe. The laboratory offers state-of-the art cell culture, molecular biology, flow cytometry and microscopy facilities. In the Bryceson group (http://www.ki.se/en/medh/yenan-bryceson-group), you will be working in a very international and interdisciplinary research environment, where collaborative efforts are encouraged.
Entry requirements, skills, and personal qualities
- Qualified to be employed as a postdoctor is one who has obtained a doctorate or has equivalent scientific competence.
- Qualification requirements
- First authorship papers in high-ranking, peer-reviewed journals
- Fluent oral and written communication skills in English
- Skills that count in the assessment
- Experience in using a variety of advanced molecular biology and sequencing technologies
- Experience in using a high-throughput sequencing
- Experience working with human primary cells
- Knowledge and experience of bioinformatics
- Personal fit
- Personal qualities
- Hard-working and driven
- Self-directed and independent
- Collaborative, team player
- Duties and work tasks
- Elaboration of scientific hypothesis, experimental design
- Flow cytometry analysis and sorting
- Design and conduct transcriptional and epigenetic analyses
- Optimize and perform CRISPR-Cas9 genome editing in primary cells
- Presentation and publication of results
This is a full-time fixed-term appointment for 12 months, with possibilities for extension depending on scientific progress.
- An employment application must contain the following documents in English or Swedish:
- A letter of motivation explaining the interest in the position and including a summary of why the applicant’s background and experience would be relevant for the project.
- A complete curriculum vitae, including date of the thesis defence, title of the thesis, previous academic positions, academic title, current position, academic distinctions, and committee work
- A complete list of publications
- A summary of current work (no more than one page)
- The application is to be submitted through the Varbi recruitment system.
Karolinska Institutet is one of the world’s leading medical universities. Its vision is to significantly contribute to the improvement of human health. Karolinska Institutet accounts for the single largest share of all academic medical research conducted in Sweden and offers the country’s broadest range of education in medicine and health sciences.
The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet selects the Nobel laureates in Physiology or Medicine.
Pursuant to the regulations of the Swedish National Archives, applications are kept on file for two years after the appointment has gained legal force. The regulations do not apply to attachments that have been printed or otherwise published.
Karolinska Institutet strives to provide a workplace that has approximately the same number of women and men, is free of discrimination and offers equal opportunity to everyone.
For temp agencies and recruiters, and to salespersons: We politely, yet firmly, decline direct contact with temp agencies and recruiters, as well as those selling additional job announcements.
Type of employment Temporary position longer than 6 months
Contract type Full time
First day of employment According to agreement
Number of positions 1
Working hours 100%
County Stockholms län
Reference number 2-6734/2018
Yenan Bryceson, Group leader , firstname.lastname@example.org
Mats Rudling, SACO, email@example.com
Yvonne Edlund OFR/ST , firstname.lastname@example.org
Last application date 09.Dec.2018 11:59 PM CET