How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
As part of the largest College at the University of Michigan, LSA Finance employs more than 70 staff who provide financial and research administration support to over 100 units. We are currently seeking well-qualified applicants for an Accountant Intermediate role to provide financial reporting, analysis, and support services for LSA units. The accountant is a key member of the Liberty Centre Business Office, which provides business manager-level financial support to LSA, including shared financial reporting, monitoring, and analysis assistance for the units in their assigned LSA division. This role requires excellent interpersonal skills to partner with the business analysts within each LSA division.
The target salary for this position is $48K-$52K. This position is responsible for: preparation and review of monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, annual financial management/ oversight reports, and basic financial analysis. The accountant will work as part of a team in the assigned LSA division, along with the business analysts, to help promote a strong internal controls environment and help manage the processes to ensure controls are in place; provide financial support for a wide range of financial tasks including journal entries, identifying and investigating chartfield errors, chartfield setup and maintenance, professorship review and monitoring, gift review and chartfield establishment, special projects, and annual budget process assistance; Assist other members of LSA finance team as needed; and participate in continuous improvement efforts and process documentation.
- BBA in accounting, finance, or business administration or equivalent work experience, minimum two to five years of experience in a financial or accounting environment.
- Candidates must have the ability to develop and implement procedures, prepare reports, and have some financial analysis experience.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills and the ability to work with a diverse group of customers.
- Exhibits sound judgment; handles sensitive and confidential information appropriately; demonstrates the ability to work under pressure of deadlines and competing priorities; ability to complete tasks in a timely manner. Excellent communication skills are necessary.
- Demonstrates ability to work independently and as part of a team; work in a team environment and collaborate with co-workers effectively.
- Progressive knowledge of Excel and other Office products.
Some experience with databases and query management tools preferred; some experience with Business Objects and M-Pathways highly desired.
- The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce as a reflection of our commitments to serve the diverse people of Michigan, fulfill the College’s Guiding Principles, and sustain the excellence of LSA.
- To learn more about diversity, equity, and inclusion visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/about/diversity--equity-and-inclusion.html
- To learn more about LSA’s Guiding Principles visit http://lsa.umich.edu/lsa/faculty-staff/human-resources/lsa-staff-guiding-principles.html
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The mission of the University of Michigan is to serve the people of Michigan and the world through preeminence in creating, communicating, preserving and applying knowledge, art, and academic values, and in developing leaders and citizens who will challenge the present and enrich the future. The University of Michigan is committed to foster learning, creativity and productivity, and to support the vigorous exchange of ideas and information, not only in the classroom but in the workplace by:
Creating a work environment in which people treat each other with respect and dignity, regardless of roles, responsibilities or differences.
Providing support, direction and resources enabling us to accomplish the responsibilities of our jobs and to reach the goals that are set for professional and personal growth.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.