Research Officer in Cytometry
- Salary range: Level 6 $78,222.00 - $82,729.00
- Full-time ongoing position
- Commencement date February/March 2019
Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (CMCA)
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to ‘innovate and inspire’, there is no better time to join Western Australia’s top University.
About the CMCA
The Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (CMCA) is the University’s characterisation and analysis core facility, and its mission is to enable research excellence by providing access to world-class scientific infrastructure and expertise to researchers and industry. The Centre comprises ~35 academic, technical and administrative staff supporting a diverse range of instrument platforms.
The CMCA Cytometry Core is one of the largest cytometry cores in WA, providing researchers with access to high-end instrumentation, expertise and training. The core houses state-of-the-art instrumentation for flow cytometry (BD Canto II, BD LSR Fortessa, Luminex 200, BD Calibur), cell sorting (BD Influx, BD Melody), mass cytometry (Fluidigm Helios), and genomics (10x Chromium Genomics System). These instruments are mostly located in CMCA at the Harry Perkins Institute for Medical Research on the Queen Elizabeth II medical campus, with other instruments located on the main UWA campus.
About the Opportunity
Under the direction of the Facility academic leader and working to a stringent quality management system, this position will play a key role in the day-to-day operation of the cytometry core, ensuring that instruments and the laboratory are performing at the highest possible standard.
As a highly-specialised expert in cytometry and cell sorting, with a strong emphasis on biomedical and biological science, the successful candidate will support and engage in collaborative research with a broad range of users, assisting with data acquisition, data processing and interpretation.
We are seeking a collaborative, team person with the ability to instruct researchers in the use of cytometry instrumentation develop and deliver training programs and assist in the preparation of competitive funding applications.
Specific selection criteria include the following:
- Relevant degree qualification in the relevant subject area (Life Sciences - Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Biology, Immunology or related field)
- Considerable relevant knowledge and experience in flow cytometry and cell sorting, and evidence of capacity to operate cytometry instrumentation independently
- Demonstrated ability to support diverse research programs in cytometry
- Demonstrated experience with or evidence of the capacity to operate in a multiuser facility
- Demonstrated experience working under a quality management system and operating in a physical containment level 2 (PC2) environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and capacity to provide clear instruction to students and researchers
- Excellent organisational skills and demonstrated ability to set priorities to meet deadlines
- Proficiency in a range of computing skills including analytical software packages, word processing, spreadsheets, databases, internet and email
- Ability to work independently, show initiative and work productively as part of a team
The University of Western Australia occupies a picturesque setting by the Swan River five minutes from downtown Perth and ten minutes from Perth's famous beaches. Perth is located on Australia's west coast and enjoys a Mediterranean climate with hot dry summers and short mild winters and is renowned for its relaxed outdoor lifestyle.
Closing date: Monday, 7 January 2019
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button
Full details of the position’s responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion of the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.