How to Apply
- Applicants must submit a resume with cover letter that must include:
- Availability for the semester for which they are applying (please indicate which course(s) and section(s) you can work)
- Contact information for a chemistry department faculty member who has had you in lab
- Chemistry courses completed at UM-Flint
Lab attendants work weekly schedules with times based upon the course that they are assisting. Each position is filled on a per semester basis. The Lab attendant may report to the instructor for that course as well as the Chemistry Department Laboratory Coordinator and Secretary. Lab attendants are responsible for helping the instructor to ensure that the students are implementing the appropriate laboratory techniques, using appropriate safety measures, understand how they are to obtain their goals for that lab exercise (including helping with calculations), and are practicing good laboratory maintenance. They may also be required to perform other routine laboratory tasks such as making or testing reagents, setting up and testing instrumentation or equipment, and assisting the instructor in reviewing lab notebooks/assignments. The lab attendants are expected to be friendly and approachable to all members of the classroom.
- Requirements include completion of the course that is being assisted or equivalent experience. In addition, all lab attendants are expected to:
- Review material as necessary
- Assist students with proper set up and use of laboratory equipment
- Help students to understand the experiments
- Know locations and appropriate usage of all safety equipment
- Follow all departmental safety rules and be sure that the students do so, as well
- Ensure that all materials in the laboratory are disposed of in an appropriate manner
- Ensure good housekeeping in the lab by doing the following:
- Reminding students to clean up after themselves
- Making sure that all reagent bottles are tightly closed at the end of lab
- Checking that there are sufficient quantities of reagents for the next lab
- Returning stockroom materials and chemicals to their appropriate locations at the end of lab
- Placing all equipment in appropriate location
- Making sure that there is no glass in trash cans at end of lab
- Filling paper towels and soap dispensers at end of lab
- Wiping benchtops (especially where reagents are stored and dispensed) at end of lab
- Ensuring that pH meters and other equipment are stored appropriately
- Making sure that balances are clean and turned off and computers are logged off at end of lab
- Reporting any broken equipment to the appropriate prep person
- Must be a currently enrolled UM-Flint student
- Successful completion and understanding of the course that is being assigned, equivalent experience, or higher level chemistry labs
- A demonstrated ability to apply laboratory safety rules
- Recommendation by a Chemistry Laboratory instructor
Available shifts will be discussed with applicants and scheduled to accommodate student staff schedules close to the start of the fall semester.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.