Duties & Responsibilities
We are looking for a highly motivated individual with experience in, or significant exposure to molecular biology and lab management to join our dynamic research team. Led by Gökhan Hotamisligil, chair of the department of Genetics and Complex Disease (GCD), the Sabri Ülker Center is dedicated to a rapidly growing field now recognized as “immunometabolism.” More specifically, Dr. Hotamisligil and his team study the regulatory pathways that control energy metabolism and metabolic homeostasis. Molecular, biochemical, genetic, and physiological studies focus on signaling networks and adaptive pathways integrated with nutrients, metabolism, stress, and immune responses using cultured mammalian cells as well as transgenic animals to identify specific abnormalities in these pathways that are involved in human metabolic diseases.
The Lab Manager is responsible for all lab operations and compliance, including ensuring that University and Federal policies are properly managed and effectively communicated. S/he reports to the Associate Director of Strategic Alliances in the Sabri Ülker Center, and works collaboratively with the Center’s manager of animal operations as well as GCD’s Research Operations Manager. The Lab Manager is an integral member of GCD’s Lab Operations Manager and Research Assistant Team, and represents the Sabri Ülker Center at School-wide compliance and regulatory meetings.
- Maintaining and improving standard procedures for laboratory efficiencies and resources, including monitoring of supply budgets, equipment maintenance and usage training, and overseeing efficient inventory maintenance, including antibodies, proteins, plasmids, and DNA
- Maintaining EH&S compliance for all laboratory hazards (radiation, biohazard, and chemical safety), licensing, and oversees the development and implementation of protocols, including the training and ongoing guidance of all research staff assigned to specific protocols
- Functioning as the point person within the Center regarding all research related protocols, procedures, and policy development
- Other duties as assigned
For more information about the Sabri Ülker Center and GCD, please visit: www.hsph.harvard.edu/gsh-lab/sabriulkercenter and www.hsph.harvard.edu/genetics-and-complex-diseases/
PLEASE NOTE: This position has a term appointment of one year from date of hire, with the possibility of extension.
- 5+ years of experience in a research laboratory, including a minimum of two years of laboratory management experience; a combination of education and experience may be considered
- Masters in Biology or related field is preferred
- PhD candidates may be considered
- Highly motivated candidates of all levels preferred
- Excellent technical, analytical, computer, organizational, and problem-solving skills preferred
- Strong technical knowledge and experience in molecular biology, genetics and biochemical techniques preferred
The ideal candidate will possess high emotional intelligence, be a quick learner that asks targeted questions, expresses a positive outlook, and has a sense of humor. S/he will seek continuous improvement in work processes and will juggle multiple priorities. The successful candidate will possess excellent organizational skills and prioritize and manage several issues simultaneously, and provide stability and reassurance in the face of unexpected events. S/he will possess exceptional people management skills, including the willingness to work closely with colleagues as a team. Experience working with individuals with diverse backgrounds, and an openness to consider new ideas are important to success. Excellent writing and oral communication skills are key to ensuring consistent and clear messaging regarding safety, compliance, and lab protocols.
The Harvard T.H. Chan of Public Health is dedicated to building a diverse community of individuals who are committed to contributing to an inclusive environment – including fostering respect for all, serving the greater good, and welcoming individuals from diverse backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. To learn more about the Chan School’s mission, objectives, and core values, please visit our website here.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
USA - MA - Boston
Genetics and Complex Diseases
55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.