Associate Professor in Anatomy
7 days left
- Full Time
Organization Name College of Medicine and Health Sciences
Khalifa University is a world-class, research-intensive institution in Abu Dhabi, the capital city of the United Arab Emirates (UAE). The University’s mission is to seamlessly integrate research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in science, engineering and medicine, and also to be a catalyst towards Abu Dhabi’s 2030 vision for a knowledge-based economy. With three campuses in the city of Abu Dhabi, the University is home to the two internationally renowned Masdar and Petroleum Research Institutes.
Khalifa University launched the College of Medicine and Health Sciences (CMHS) on July 4th 2018. Establishment of the CMHS, the first medical college based in the city of Abu Dhabi, responds to the challenge of developing world-class healthcare in Abu Dhabi, the United Arab Emirates and region. In the coming years, Khalifa University intends to roll out a range of degree programs in medicine and health sciences that will be offered through the CMHS.
By strengthening the university’s faculty base in these disciplines, Khalifa University will also expand its research portfolio, which currently includes medical genetics, genome sciences, bio-materials for nano-medicine, cellular biomechanics, bio-robotics, tissue regeneration, medical systems engineering, bioinformatics and artificial intelligence.
Essential to this role is the desire to train a new generation of medical specialist, as well as contribute to world-class research that improves practice while delivering a service to the university, the community and the United Arab Emirates.
The responsibilities of faculty members shall be an appropriate combination of:
- Dissemination of knowledge through undergraduate and / or graduate teaching; and
- Research, scholarly or other creative activities; and
- Academic service
The position calls for a leading authority in "human anatomy and/or physiology" with evidence of exceptional academic standing.
Expected to have a made a substantive contribution to their discipline, and can show evidence of innovative curriculum development, a distinguished record of teaching, and proven academic leadership.
- Develop course outlines in their respective disciplines.
- Prepare teaching material including course outline, syllabus and lesson plans. Revise the subject matter on a regular basis as appropriate for that subject.
- Teach at the graduate and undergraduate level in subject areas related to biomedical sciences on time schedules allocated by the Line Manager.
- Contribute to the development, planning and implementation of a high quality curriculum.
- Provide students with detailed syllabus, methods of instruction and evaluation in their courses.
- Engage in the selection of textbooks and other teaching aids necessary to the instruction of courses.
- Monitor students’ performance in their subject areas and provides remedial classes when necessary.
- Set and mark exams, coursework, assignments, laboratory work, homework, and any other relevant activity.
- Use up-to-date instructional technology and ensure the delivery is clear and consistent.
- Participate in professional peer reviews.
- Supervise teaching internships.
- Develop and improve their scholarly competence and effectiveness as teachers within their area of expertise.
- Teach at undergraduate level as required.
Research, Scholarly and Creative Activities:
- Carry out research and produces publications, or other research outputs, in line with personal objectives agreed in the review process.
- Engage in scholarly or creative activities in their area of expertise and makes results available for critical peer review.
- Deliver papers at professional association meetings, seminars and conferences.
- Participate in panels at regional and international meetings of professional organizations.
- Identify and successfully bid for external funding and grants.
- Actively raise the College's and Faculty’s profile, internally and externally.
- Participate in departmental and faculty seminars aimed at sharing research outcomes and building interdisciplinary collaboration within and outside the department.
- Collaborate with colleagues, both within and outside the University, in conducting and managing research and consultancy activities.
- Supervise students’ research and practical work and of their theses preparation, as well as participate in evaluation of their theses.
- Contribute to departmental, or University-wide working groups or committees as requested.
- Contribute to student recruitment, retention and placement efforts.
- Foster service by contributing to the community at large in participatory, developmental or advisory capacity.
- Support and participate in student organization activities.
- Adhere to the University's information security and confidentiality policies and procedures, and report breaches or other security risks accordingly.
- Coordinate with other departments to facilitate the accomplishment of tasks and responsibilities, as and when needed.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Line Manager
- A degree in medicine (MD or MBBS) and/or a postgraduate degree (PhD) in an area relevant to the appointment.
- Demonstrable experience in teaching and mentor ship in the discipline at the undergraduate and postgraduate level.
- Demonstrable ability to engage in independent research, with an established record of scholarly publication.
- Demonstrable success in supervision of research students.
- Demonstrable abilities to work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary and collegial team, well developed interpersonal skis and the ability to provide leadership and take the initiative
- A minimum of 6 years’ experience AND experience in teaching at a level that is relevant to the position and would have made contributions to research and/or scholarship and/or teaching. Can demonstrate some level of administrative skills of a team.
How To Apply
Applicants should submit an online application. In the cover letter, please indicate your specialist area, using the above disciplines as a guide, in the heading.
A complete application includes curriculum vitae, teaching and research statement, cover letter, photo and the names and contact information of three references.
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).