University Professor of Molecular Biology
The “Max F. Perutz Laboratories” (www.mfpl.ac.at) is a collaboration institution of the University of Vienna and the Medical University of Vienna, focusing on basic biomedical and molecular biology research. This mission of the institute is to promote ground-breaking discoveries in mechanistic biomedicine. It is located at an attractive, rapidly developing and interdisciplinary biological science campus (“Campus Vienna Biocenter”).
At the University of Vienna and the Medical University Vienna the position of a
University Professor of Molecular Biology
(full time, permanent position) is to be filled.
Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:
- a PhD (or equivalent international academic degree) in a life science discipline;
- outstanding record in basic research in molecular biology as documented by high impact publications and an excellent reputation as an active member of the international academic community;
- ability and willingness to connect basic molecular biology research with medical translational research.
- experience in raising competitive third party funds,;
- experience in academic teaching, and willingness and ability to teach at all curricular levels, to supervise theses, and to further the work of junior academic colleagues;
The successful candidate should be willing and able (if nominated according to the legal provisions) to act as head of MFPL.
Successful candidates should have the following qualifications:
- Doctoral degree/PhD and post-doctoral experience at a university or other research institution
- Outstanding achievements in research, excellent publication record, international reputation; that can be verified as international equivalent qualification to a Habilitation
- Experience in designing, procuring and managing large research projects, as well as the willingness and ability to lead research groups
- Enthusiasm for excellent teaching, teaching experience at universities as well as the ability and willingness to teach students in all phases of their studies (bachelor's, master's, or doctoral level), to supervise academic theses and to promoting young academic colleagues
In addition, we expect the successful candidate to be prepared to take over responsibility on the organisational level of the Universities, if necessary
- a negotiable and attractive salary (classification according to the Collective Bargaining Agreement for University Staff, allocation to job group A1; section 98 of the Universities Act 2002); the salary will be individually negotiated under consideration of the previous career development and the current income situation
- in addition to the statutory social insurance, we offer a pension fund to its employees
- a “start-up package”, in particular for the initiation of research projects
- a dynamic research location with well-established research funding provisions
- attractive working conditions in a city with a high quality of life
- comprehensive advice and support in relation to finding an accommodation, change of schools and dual career
- a wide range of support services offered by central service institutions
We pursue a non-discriminatory employment policy and values equal opportunities, as well as diversity (http://diversity.univie.ac.at/en). We put special emphasis on increasing the number of women in senior and in academic positions. Given equal qualifications, preference will be given to female applicants.
- Application letter, including a brief description of:
- current research interests and research plans for the immediate future
- current and planned foci in academic teaching and the supervision of young Researchers
- Academic curriculum vitae,
including information about “esteem factors” (e.g. experience as a publisher, functions in research societies or programme committees)
- List of publications, including:
specification of five key publications which the applicant considers particularly relevant to the advertised professorship
- provision of an Internet link for download or electronic submission of PDF versions of these five publications
- information about citations and impact factors, depending on the common practice in the relevant research area
- List of talks given,
including information about invited keynote lectures at international conferences
- Third-party funds
list of acquired third-party funds (subject, duration, origin, volume) as well as, if applicable, of inventions/patents
- Overview of previous academic teaching and supervised theses, especially doctoral theses
- Teaching evaluations (if available)
- Copies of documents and certificates
Applications in English should be submitted by e-mail (preferably as PDF attachments) to the Office of the Rectorate of the University of Vienna, Universitätsring 1, 1010 Vienna, (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Reference no.: MolBio2018
The application deadline is 7 March 2019.
Apply for University Professor of Molecular Biology
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly