The Wall Lab, in the Department of Pediatrics, Division of Systems Medicine at Stanford University, is seeking a Web Developer 1 to create and maintain websites. Design, build, and implement new, high quality, high performance web-based applications and tools that maximally leverage available technology infrastructure.
The Wall Lab is a bioinformatics and biomedical data science lab that focuses on translating the thinking of systems biology to the field of autism research. Our intent is to develop effective early-stage diagnostics, empower the global scientific research community with open access to a centralized repository, define phenotypic subgroups, and understand the utility of wearables by providing social queues to enhance emotion recognition, all using computational tools of systems biology, machine learning and network interference.
The Wall Lab has built a series of web apps to accelerate the pace of biomedical data capture and development of products and tools to detect and monitor autism and related developmental conditions, as well as a community platform for families to engage with the research community. The incumbent will collaborate with cross-functional teams and play a key role in building new features enabling the autism community to participate in research and access resources.
- Implement and maintain content management systems, including installation, configuration, theme and plug-in integration, and ongoing support of departmental liaisons using existing platforms and tools.
- Support the development and maintenance of web applications, including building search indexes, integrating web designs, and building small collection websites.
- Monitor and report on website traffic and performance. Perform periodic website audits.
- Perform maintenance duties, such as scripting, adding new content to collections, rebuilding indexes, and maintaining templates and supporting pages.
- Update web pages to ensure site accuracy and currency; perform light web design.
- Interface with existing database, using existing data and discovery tools user interfaces, and tools for specific discovery and delivery environments, such as library online catalogs, to access data stored on web services.
- Produce online content, animated gifs, static buttons, and email and landing pages under the direction of senior web developer and content manager.
- Perform development and maintenance programming for web pages and web applications. Build small applications.
- Evaluate and support user needs, and recommend solutions within existing platforms; maintain and develop documentation and how-to guides for customers.
- Perform selected website administration duties for existing clients. Ensure web server and site technical performance. Perform light troubleshooting and first line support.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
- Experienced with ReactJS/Redux
- Databases: Familiarity with both SQL & NoSQL
- (Preferred) Experience with AWS cloud services and database technology
- Solid understanding of web standards and usability methods
- Basic knowledge of information security, design principles, code standards
- Comfortable with Linux
- Strong scripting experience with at least one programming language
- Demonstrated ability to write, compile, test, debug, and deploy software
- Solid understanding of web standards and usability methods.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED):
Associate degree and two years of relevant experience or a combination of education and relevant experience.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Good customer service skills and ability to explain technical features to non-technical customers/clients.
- Familiarity with a range of programming and scripting languages.
- Clear understanding of web standards and usability methods.
- In-depth knowledge of content management systems, such as Drupal, including the ability to perform standard installations and configurations.
- Demonstrated proficiency building applications in a web development framework.
- Understanding of systems integration and various web devices and environments.
- Ability to design and implement web services.
- Familiarity with authentication and access control.
- Knowledge of website delivery best practices.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Frequently sitting.
- Occasionally stand/walk, use a telephone.
- Rarely writing by hand, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
- Strong visual acuity.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.