- Complete daily prep list as assigned by the Chef Assistant or Manager, including but not limited to plating entree salads, slicing meats and cheese, preparing batch dressings and marinades, and weighing recipes.
- Combine ingredients to prepare deli sandwiches according to meal ticket orders.
- Operate scales, slicers, robot coupe, commercial blander, knives, and buffalo chopper.
- Maintain clean and sanitized work area, including equipment, counters, and utensils.
- Perform ongoing verbal communication between coworkers and at shift crossover.
- Take temperatures and complete temperature logs every 4 hours or as required.
- Continuously monitor food quality of basic ingredients as well as plated food.
- Label and date food items according to departmental and regulatory guidelines.
- Be flexible with job tasks and job changes. This includes but is not limited to picking up additional duties when a coworker is absent.
- Previous experience working and/or cooking in a restaurant setting, including experience working in a quality oriented environment with an emphasis on plate presentation.
- Experience following standardized recipes and portion, and the ability to understand the importance of following standarized recipes and portioning as it relates to meeting patients nutrition needs and ensuring their health and safety.
- Ability to demonstrate proper standard operation procedures for meat slicers, scales, can openers, buffalo chopper, robot coupe, and knives within 30 days of employment.
- Ability to successfully pass the ServSafe Certification for Food Handlers with 90 days of employment.
- Ability to rotate stock using first in First Out method. This includes identifying and discarding all expired products.
- Experience performing physical job tasks safely. This includes but is not limited to lifting up to 30 pounds, bending, reaching, standing up to 8 hours, and pushing and pulling up to 35 pounds.
- Excellent communication skills: ability to read English with comprehension, listen effectively, speak and write clearly, and accurately follow written instructions, including job routines, recipe directions, and precautions on chemical product labels.
- Ability to perform excellent customer service. This includes but is not limited to demonstrating respect for coworkers, working effectively on a team, as well as working independently with minimal guidance.
- Ability to utilize resources responsibly, recognize and minimize food waste.
- Ability to multitask and work at a fast pace
- Excellent attendance history.
Work hours are flexible, 40 hours per week. Must be willing to work holidays and weekends if needed.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.