Postdoctor in Geographical Islands Energy System Modelling
About the position
We have a vacancy for a Post doctor at Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering.
A two-year Postdoctoral position is available at the Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering.
The project aims to develop knowledge and technology for geographical islands energy system modelling. The project is created under H2020 project GIFT, with strong network crossing European countries.
The position reports to supervising professor
Prospective modelling and long-term energy assessment:
- Develop specific bottom-up optimization model (based on the TIMES long-term energy planning tool) will be developed in order to discuss possible future trajectories of the energy system of these territories (supply evolutions, particularly renewables, consumption evolutions, etc.).
- Analyze which power reliability conditions are enforced over time in these long-term planning exercises and discuss the long-term and short-term plausibility of the different possible futures.
Energy system modelling for short-term online forecasting of supply and demand:
- Build system dynamics and mathematic model for the energy supply (renewable and non-renewable) and demand (building, transport, production, etc.) by considering the different geographical and climate context.
Develop Digital twin based on geographical information for energy system in cooperation with research group.
A postdoctoral research fellowships is a qualification position in which the main objective is qualification for work in academic positions. Completion of a Norwegian doctoral degree in Engineering or corresponding foreign doctoral degree recognized as equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree is required.The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, post doctor and research assistant.
Researcher mobility and active participation in international scientific research networks are also looked upon favorably.
The main research work will be carried out with tools such as TIMES, Matlab/Simulink, Arc-GIS, and Anylogic (Vensim). Strong expertise and experience on these tools are required. As well as
- Programming skills
- Knowledge about micro-grids, energy storages and vehicle to grid (V2G)
- Strong written and oral English
- Ability to conduct independently high-level scientific research on the specified area
- High motivation for research
- Ability to network with other researchers
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
Postdoctoral candidates are remunerated in code 1352, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 515 200 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund. The position is of 2 years duration.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-167/18 when applying.
Application deadline: 08.12.2018
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering
Our profile of expertise can help to solve the world’s most important societal challenge: the development of sustainable solutions in industry and society. This profile includes research on modern industrial processes, use of new and recycled materials, new technological solutions and the application of new forms of organization and business models.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Campus Gjøvik