PhD in Digital Twin for Sustainable Energy System
About the position
We have a vacancy for a PhD position for 3 years at Departement of Manufacturing and Civil engineering.
The project aims to develop fundamental understanding on situation and consequence for Geographical Island Energy System through
digital twin by integrating different information domain, to support decarbonizing.
The project is created under H2020 project GIFT.
The position reports to supervising professor.
- Develop and validate methods to integration of information from geographical information system (GIS), and information flow from different energy system simulations, observations and models.
- Develop and systematize the knowledge on input to life cycle assessment and life cycle cost on energy systems including system boundaries, information needs and sensitivity.
- Develop and validate digital twin for describing material and energy flow pilot areas, considering different climate and geographical contexts, to facilitate the understanding of the life cycle environmental impacts and cost of energy systems for interested parties and other stakeholders.
The PhD-position's main objective is to qualify for work in research positions. The qualification requirement is completion of a master’s degree or second degree (equivalent to 120 credits) with a strong academic background in computer science, software engineering, energy engineering or equivalent education with a grade of B or better in terms of NTNU’s grading scale. Applicants with no letter grades from previous studies must have an equally good academic foundation. Applicants who are unable to meet these criteria may be considered only if they can document that they are particularly suitable candidates for education leading to a PhD degree.
The appointment is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants and national guidelines for appointment as PhD, postdoctor and research assistant
- Good experience on programming and database technology will be given priority.
- Excellent English skills is required.
- Good knowledge of Scandinavian language is preferable.
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated
- Willing to work both independently and with other researchers
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
PhD candidates are remunerated in code 1017, and are normally remunerated at gross from NOK 449 400 before tax per year. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The period of employment is 3 years. Appointment to a PhD position requires admission to the PhD programme in Engineering.
As a PhD candidate, you undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme during the employment period. A condition of appointment is that you are in fact qualified for admission to the PhD programme within three months.
Appointment takes place on the terms that apply to State employees at any time, and after the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Associate Prof. Lizhen Huang, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the application:
Publications and other academic works that the applicant would like to be considered in the evaluation must accompany the application. Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify the individual applicant's contribution to joint works, the applicant must include a brief description of his or her contribution. Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar describes in detail the study and grading system.
- Two pages of description of research statement/plan
- Names and contact information of at least 2 reference persons
- A copy of the master thesis (in PDF), or, for those who are near to completion of their MSc, an extended abstract combined with a statement of how and when the applicant plans to complete the thesis, or, for those who have master thesis not in English or Norwegian, an extended abstract in English within 3 pages.
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number IV-168/18 when applying.
Start-up date may be discussed, but tentatively not later than Spring 2019.
Application deadline: 08.12.2018
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
The Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Engineering.
Department of Manufacturing and Civil Engineering
Our profile of expertise can help to solve the world’s most important societal challenge: the development of sustainable solutions in industry and society. This profile includes research on modern industrial processes, use of new and recycled materials, new technological solutions and the application of new forms of organization and business models.
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Campus Gjøvik