Full Professor of Art History
At Radboud University, we do research and teach programmes covering the full width of the academic spectrum. We do this on a green, modern campus with state-of-the-art facilities. The atmosphere on campus is open and personal, which stimulates colleagues to share their knowledge beyond the boundaries of their own discipline. It encourages all to look further, to see more. Thus, Radboud University contributes to the development of new perspectives. Within science and within society. This makes Radboud University successful and of international importance.
Full Professor of Art History (0.8 - 1.0 FTE)
Faculty of Arts
Vacancy number: 23.35.18
Application deadline: 10 January 2019
The Faculty of Arts is searching for an art historian with a broad range of interests, capable of looking beyond traditional historical borders and basing both teaching and research on questions that arise from the work of art as a material object and product of the imagination, approaching such questions in light of (recent) theoretical insights from the fields of art history and cultural studies, and finding added value in interdisciplinary collaboration.
The Faculty of Arts employs over 500 staff members who teach, conduct research, or support educational and research endeavors in the fields of history and art, languages and cultures, linguistics and information, and communications technology (ICT). Research is embedded in one of the two faculty research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) or Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies (HLCS). The faculty provides education for circa 2,400 students, spread over three departments: the department of history, art history and classics, that of modern languages and cultures, and the department of language and communication.
What we expect from you
- that you have a doctorate degree in the field of art history;
- mastery of the Dutch language, both spoken and written. If you are not a native Dutch speaker, you must master Dutch at C2 level within three years;
- outstanding mastery of English, as demonstrated by Cambridge Proficiency certificates (at least level C2), if you are not a native speaker. If you do not satisfy these criteria, you commit to attaining the Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE) within 1 year;
- an understanding of the Dutch university system and the willingness to participate in it in accordance with the relevant rules and customs;
- that you are in a position to initiate and encourage inter-university cooperation and to maintain contacts in your network with scientific institutions outside the university;
- that you are an inspiring and challenging lecturer, with wide teaching experience at both BA and MA levels and are able to teach a wide range of subjects within art and cultural studies;
- that you will take on a prominent position in the international research community in the field of art history;
- that you will actively foster cooperation and harmony within the art history section of the department of history and art;
- that you have international experience and maintain an international network;
- that you have produced a large number of leading international publications;
- demonstrable experience with interdisciplinary work, and the ability to motivate others to this end;
- demonstrable sound and effective guidance of Ph.D research;
- that you are successful in securing resources for research from indirect state funding and/or the third funding stream;
- a completed University Teaching Qualification certificate (BKO) or equivalent qualification, or the willingness to attain a BKO in the short term;
- interest and experience in administrative duties and management;
- possession of the following five core competences: vision, awareness of environment, power of conviction, compelling leadership, entrepreneurship.
What we have to offer
- employment: 0.8 - 1.0 FTE;
- depending on your qualifications and level of experience, the gross monthly salary will be between € 5,541 (min. scale H2, starting scale) and € 7,921 (max. scale H2), based on a 38-hour working week;
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- term of contract: five years, with the possibility of extension;
- classification in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO): Full Professor, Level 2;
- you will be able to make use of our Dual Career Service where our Dual Career Officer will assist with family related support, such as child care, and help your partner prepare for the local labour market and with finding an occupation.
Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
The starting date envisaged is as soon as possible, but not later than 1 September 2019. The selection process includes a trial lecture and a job interview.
Would you like to know more?
Further information on: Faculteit der Letteren
Further information on: Institute for Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
prof. dr. Maaike van Berkel, Full Professor
dr. Mette Gieskes, Assistant Professor
Are you interested?
You should upload your application (attn. of drs. L.J.P.M. van Mosseveld) exclusively using the button 'Apply' below. Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachment(s):
- Letter of motivation
The job interview and trial lectures will take place on Friday 1 February 2019.
No commercial propositions please.