Senior Researcher in Molecular Cytogenomics
Deadline 20 Dec 2018
Start date 01.01.2019
The Rector of Masaryk University opens a position as Senior Researcher.
Central European Research Institute (CEITEC, www.ceitec.eu) is a modern interdisciplinary research institute in the areas of life and material sciences. The institute is equipped with state of the art infrastructure and promotes collaboration among scientists from diverse background (chemistry, biology, physics, medicine, engineering).
Our institute values diversity and promotes an inclusive working environment with the aim to support the best scientists.
We are looking for a highly experienced senior scientist with a strong background in molecular cytogenomics to lead and carry out research projects focused on genome evolution in crucifers (Brassicaceae). The successful candidate will join the Lysak lab (www.plantcytogenomics.org) at CEITEC located in the life science campus of Masaryk University (Brno, Bohunice).
Prospective candidates should fulfill the following criteria:
- PhD in a relevant scientific discipline such as genetics, genomics or molecular biology
- Long term work experience in the field of analysing plant genome structure and evolution
- Excellent understanding of the modes and mechanisms of karyotype evolution in angiosperms, consequences of differently aged whole-genome duplications, evolution of repetitive sequences, and reconstructing ancestral genomes
- Strong international scientific reputation proven by papers in impactful journals in the field
- Extensive experience in research grant applications and leading own research projects
- Experience in oral presentation at international scientific conferences
- Perfect English languages – both spoken and written
- Working experience in teaching and supervising undergraduate students in Czech, mentoring and managing laboratory technician staff
- Ability to lecture on general genetics and cytogenetics in Czech
- Excellent communication, attention to detail, ability to work independently and as part of a team, self-motivation, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Interesting position in a dynamically expanding research institute
- An attractive salary and benefits package
- Background of a recognized and successful institution with supportive and international working environment
- Environment promoting interdisciplinarity and intersectorality of research
- In house core facilities
- Support of administrative departments (including grant office service)
- Support with the relocation process (welcome office service)
- 6 weeks of paid holiday
Anticipated start date: 1st January 2019
Applications including CV, contacts for referees and a brief motivation letter should be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please quote the “position” in the subject.
Electronic application deadline: 20th December 2018
Information about Brno, Czech Republic
- The capital of South Moravian Region and the second largest city in the Czech Republic with a population of almost 400,000 people
- Modern, dynamic and fast growing centre of industry, trade, science, research and innovation with business incubators and centres of excellence in science
- A city of universities with more than 86,000 students
- More than 10,000 researchers; 2,200 IF publications/year; 600+ PhD graduates/year
- 500 mil. EUR of R&D investment per year, more than 350 companies with in-house R&D
- City of Gregor Mendel, the founder of genetics; the prestigious Mendel Lectures series takes place in Brno since 2003 (lectures of the world´s top scientists, including Nobel Prize winners)
- Quality of life index in 2016
For further information about:
- CEITEC, please visit www.ceitec.eu
- CEITEC Welcome Office, please visit https://www.ceitec.eu/welcome-office/t9794
- Masaryk University, please visit www.muni.cz
- Brno, please visit http://www2.brno.cz/index.php?lan=en&nav01=20608&nav02=20617