Staff Specialist in Duke Health Development
The Staff Specialist supports the Foundation Relations and Corporate Giving program, in a team-based, deadline-driven fundraising office. The person in this position supports the office by providing organizational expertise and fulfilling administrative duties with regard to multiple and complex proposal processes, communications, and scheduling tasks. The Staff Specialist will contribute to the development of formal grant requests and stewardship communications. The person will manage accurate project files and report regularly on the status of projects and on departmental finances.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the Foundation Relations and Corporate Giving fundraisers to produce polished final proposals to be sent to prospective funders and to prepare appropriate correspondence. This work includes knowledge of document preparation, careful attention to detail, and strong written communication skills.
- Prepare and coordinate submission of formal proposals according to the parameters of the individual funding organizations, including formatting and uploading documentation to online portals or preparing materials for mailing.
- Research foundations using web-based or traditional resources; search databases and prepare results of searches for different audiences, including the Foundation Relations staff, Duke Health leaders, major gift officers, and physicians seeking foundation support.
- Develop and manage tracking and reporting systems to ensure timely proposal development and effective stewardship of gifts and grants from foundations and companies, as directed by the Senior Executive Director of Foundation Relations.
- Schedule meetings with both internal and external audiences, including leaders, faculty, and staff within Duke as well as senior representatives from foundations and companies.
- Coordinate site visits by representatives from foundations or companies, working in conjunction with other offices across Duke University and Health System as necessary.
- Plan logistics, potentially including receptions, tours, and meetings.
- Prepare all necessary travel arrangements, for purposes of fundraising with senior representatives of foundations, on behalf of the Foundation Relations and Corporate Giving team members.
- Prepare itineraries and all expense reports.
- Maintain, review, and reconcile departmental budget records and, under the direction of the Senior Executive Director, prepare budgetary projections and recommendations.
- Reconcile expense reports and process related forms in accordance with standard procedures.
- Provide support to the Foundation Relations and Corporate Giving office, including mail management, filing, ordering and inventory of supplies, management of calendars, and scheduling of meetings.
- Organize and maintain departmental files, records, reports and correspondence required for efficient and effective operation of department.
- Present a professional and competent image for the Office of Foundation Relations and Corporate Giving to internal customers and to external constituencies.
- Answer questions, provide information, and use mature judgment.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Work requires knowledge of basic mathematical, research and communications principles normally acquired through two years of post secondary education. Four year degree preferred.
Four years of related secretarial/clerical experience to acquire skills necessary to administer office functions related to office management, communications, and budgetary/accounting activities. Experience at Duke a plus, as is knowledge of the Duke development data system (DADD). Computer experience and proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word required. Experience using the Internet for research also required.
Proofreading, and attention to detail. The ability to distinguish relevant from irrelevant information, which demands critical thinking skills; ability to organize and categorize large amounts of information. Demonstrated ability to take initiative and communicate proactively. Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
Requisition Number: 401508647
Duke Entity: MEDICAL CENTER
Job Code: 83 STAFF SPECIALIST
Job Family Level: 09
Full Time/Part Time: FULL TIME
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas, an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires knowledge of basic mathematical, research and communications principles normally acquired through two years of post secondary education.
Work generally requires four years of clerical or research experience to acquire strong skills in administrative or project research responsibilities as well as accepted office management, communications and research practices.A bachelor's degree in a field of study directly related to the specific position may be substituted for the education and two years of the experience requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req: ID107235BR