Rising Talent Fellowship
DCU seeks to recruit high-performing, globally competitive post-doctoral researchers seeking to become research leaders of the future.
Designed to support early-career academics, these new positions are a vital component of DCU’s investment in research excellence.
Dublin City University (www.dcu.ie) is a research-intensive, globally-engaged, dynamic institution that is distinguished by both the quality and impact of its graduates and its focus on the translation of knowledge into societal and economic benefit. Excellence in its education and research activities has led to DCU’s consistent ranking (THE; QS) as one of the world’s leading young universities.
With a strong commitment to research excellence across its five faculties (Science and Health, Humanities and Social Sciences, Engineering and Computing, DCU Business School, and DCU Institute of Education), the University is home to a number of internationally renowned research centres in specific areas of Science, Digital Innovation, Engineering, Humanities, Social Sciences, Education and Business. As Ireland’s University of Enterprise, DCU is renowned for its commitment to innovation and entrepreneurship, and its proactive engagement with the enterprise sector.
Focusing on Talent
In its Strategic Plan (2017 - 2022) Talent, Discovery and Transformation, DCU sets out its vision to be a globally-significant University renowned for its development of talent, its focus on creativity and innovation, its discovery and translation of knowledge into societal bene it, and its commitment to sustainability. For more information about DCU’s mission, values and strategic objectives, please visit DCU’s
DCU has identified six priority research themes that re lect the core research strengths and concentrations of expertise in the University:
- Health technologies and the healthy society
- Digital innovation and the digital society
- Advanced manufacturing and materials
- Sustainable economies and societies
- Democratic and secure societies
- Educational research and innovation
ADVANCE YOUR REPUTATION FOR WORLD-CLASS RESEARCH WITH DCU
About the Fellowships
DCU has established the Rising Talent Fellowship Programme to recruit high-performing, globally competitive post-doctoral researchers seeking to develop their academic career. These prestigious appointments, at Assistant Professor grade, are an important component of DCU’s investment in research excellence and are designed to recruit and support our future research leaders. While successful candidates will have the opportunity to build their academic career by developing their teaching skills, the primary focus of the Rising Talent Programme is on excellence in research and on advancing the University’s research profile.
Purpose of appointments
- Build excellence in key areas of research strength
- Attract and develop talented staff who will further the University’s research ambitions
- Enhance collaboration with leading national and international research partners
- Increase the University’s research competitiveness and reputation at both a national and international level
The successful candidates will be appointed Faculties under the direct mentorship of a senior member of academic staff.
Type of Appointment
The appointments will be offered on a three-year fixed-term, full-time basis. There may be an opportunity to join the academic staff on a longer-term/ permanent contract, conditional on performance and funding. Fellows will be encouraged to apply for both internal and external research funding.
The positions provide:
- A three-year contract of employment with a salary ranging from €46,807 to €49,600 pa
- Following the successful completion of the three year term, Fellows may have the opportunity to join the full-time academic staff of the University
- Mentorship and career development support
- The opportunity to acquire teaching experience on DCU’s undergraduate or postgraduate programmes. Teaching activity will not normally be more than 50 hours per academic year
- Access to an extensive set of professional development opportunities that address the core areas of academic endeavour: Research and Scholarship, Teaching and Learning, and Service and Contribution to University and Society
- Valuable experience at Ireland’s most innovative university, located in one of Europe’s most dynamic cities – Dublin
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
- Two to eight years Post-doctoral experience
- Excellent research track record
- Publications in high-quality, peer-reviewed journals of international standing
- Experience of communicating research at a high profile, both nationally and internationally
- Evidence of the potential to develop as a future research leader
- Completed application form together with a Curriculum Vitae (CV), which should demonstrate achievements in the following areas:
- refereed publications (with information on citations and impact factors)
- research funding secured
- knowledge transfer and outreach activities
- supervision of research students, if applicable
- A proposal (no longer than 1000 words) outlining a research plan to be undertaken over the course of the Fellowship, using the following sub-headings:
- Proposal Title
- Background and Aims
- Significance and Novelty
- Approach and Methodology
- Alignment with one or more of the six key research themes outlined previously (individuals with outstanding research records in areas outside these six themes will be considered)
- Potential to attract research funding
The first call for applications is now open with a closing date of Friday 14th December 2018.
Please submit your Proposal, CV, and a completed DCU Application Form to: firstname.lastname@example.org
More searches like this
- Permanent Business & Management Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Ireland
- Permanent Education Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Ireland
- Permanent Engineering & Technology Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Ireland
- Permanent Social Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Ireland
- Permanent Business & Economics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Ireland