Senior Lecturer in Statistics and Data Science
Full time, continuing
Academic Level C
$112,562 - $129,220
The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer will be responsible for teaching data science at undergraduate and postgraduate levels across all delivery modes, undertaking research and contributing to curriculum development of data science and other mathematics majors/programs.
James Cook University
Division of Tropical Environments and Societies
College of Science and Engineering
- Undertake teaching and subject coordination in Statistics/Data Science at undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including teaching to service disciplines, across all delivery modes.
- Conduct research as an individual and in collaboration with other researchers and students.
- Provide supervision to postgraduate and higher degree by research (HDR) students in Statistics/Data Science.
- Contribute to the management of university business through active participation on committees at Academic Group and College Levels as directed.
- Enhance the visibility and reputation of JCU through active participation in public outreach activities as an individual and through participation in JCU events.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
Selection and appointments will be assessed against the selection criteria.
- Doctoral (PhD) qualification or equivalent in Statistics, Data Science or a related discipline with significant postdoctoral research experience.
- Demonstrated capacity to teach statistics and data science to undergraduate and postgraduate coursework students.
- Evidence of an established research track-record, including interdisciplinary collaboration and effective supervision of postgraduate/higher degree by research (HDR) students.
- Demonstrated success or capacity to attract competitive research funding.
- Capacity to establish an independent research program which involves collaborations across disciplinary, institutional boundaries and/or industry.
- Excellent written, oral and interpersonal communication skills, with demonstrated capacity to work both independently and diverse groups.
- Demonstrated ongoing Involvement in industry and/or professional activities.
- Experience in the development and coordination of online education programs.