Assistant/Associate Director of Human Resources
Please note: Position will be filled at the Assistant or Associate level dependent upon the experience and qualifications of the selected candidate.
This position will assist in the development, implementation, and administration of comprehensive human resources programs, policies and procedures that support the University community. This position is also responsible for supporting the HR Director in creating a culture of positive leadership on campus. As part of this role, the Assistant/Associate Director will be committed to identifying what works well at UM-Dearborn and help individuals find meaning in their work, foster energizing relationships, acting with integrity and compassion.
Reporting to the Human Resource Director, the Assistant/Associate Director will be a member of a professional team that is responsible for providing strategic human resources partnerships for both academic and nonacademic needs on campus, supporting human resources administration and operational functions, and providing advice and consultation to senior leaders, deans, department chairs, directors, managers and supervisors.
In collaboration with the Human Resource Director, the Assistant/Associate Director has primary responsibility for the management of academic human resources, which supports the mission and goals of UM-Dearborn. This individual will lead strategic academic human resources for all academic units on campus, including Academic Affairs and the Office of the Provost. This work will include faculty recruitment, faculty growth and development, and faculty compensation. The Assistant/Associate Director will coach and mentor the HR Consulting Staff with regards to the academic HR needs of the campus. While this position will focus on academic HR support, the role will also provide leadership and strategy for staff.
- Work with the Human Resource Director in implementing positive leadership best practices on campus; including leadership development and faculty/staff engagement.
- Provide advice and consultation on a wide range of complex human resource matters for faculty, staff and students.
- Participates on strategic cross-departmental or organization wide teams at the request of the Human Resource Director.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a campus-wide training curriculum and provide training.
- With Human Resource Director, develop, implement, maintain, and routinely train on HR Policies, including compensation, conflict of interest, remote access, communication, professional development training, computer use, sensitive data, etc.
- In consultation with the Director of HR and the UM-D HR Team, provide advice and consultation on University policies and procedures.
- In collaboration with the Human Resource Director ensure internal controls are followed.
- A bachelor’s degree is necessary. A degree with a concentration in human resources, business administration or an equivalent combination of education preferred.
- At least 8 years of experience working in a human resources specialist or generalist role in a university setting or comparable field is required. 10 or more years is preferred.
- Demonstrate strong personal integrity, ability to form effective partnerships, ability to collaborate with others and work in a team environment.
- Possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrate strong customer service skills, conflict resolution skills, the ability to work as an individual contributor, enthusiasm for teamwork and building collaborative partnerships.
- Demonstrate a high level of responsiveness to the HR team, the customers being served, and the campus community.
- Possess excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Have strong critical thinking, analytical and problem solving skills.
- Have the ability to set priorities and accomplish tasks within allotted time frames and work independently with a minimum of supervision.
- Possess experience in utilizing project management techniques, decision-support data and resource system software.
- A deep respect for the value of each person’s contributions to a team, as well as a demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity and inclusion in higher education.
- Extensive experience advising on a broad range of human resource matters involving tenure best practices, faculty recruitment, and other areas.
- Considerable work experience in LEO and GEO workforce planning; labor negotiations; and contract interpretation.
- Substantial knowledge and experience advising on faculty human resource matters and administering and providing consultation related to policies for instructional faculty as well as Graduate Student Instructors and Graduate Student Research Assistants.
- Experience working with academic leadership on strategic initiatives and projects geared toward the development and success of faculty.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.