Application Programmer/Analyst Associate
How to Apply
A cover letter is required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experience that directly relate to this position.
The Department of Biostatistics at the University of Michigan invites applications for an R programmer to develop and maintain R packages generated as part of faculty and student research. The R programmer will play an integral and important role in the department; focused on packaging and maintaining departmentally developed R packages; providing user support, training and advice in R coding and package writing; and collaborating with the Department System Administrator to install and maintain R packages on the department cluster. The programmer will also create a webpage with all R packages developed by members of the department and help create a departmental github site. The programmer will report to the chair of the department and the chair of computing committee.
- Host R programming tutorials covering basic statistical analysis and package development
- Provide R coding support to department researchers and students as well as attendees of the annual Big Data Summer Institute
- Assist faculty, staff, and students in development of R packages
- Collaborate with System Administrator to install R packages and manage their dependencies on department cluster
- Stay up to date with R’s capabilities in processing large datasets (Spark, MapReduce, Hadoop)
- Develop and document examples of common statistical techniques and methods in R using a variety of packages
- Compile and maintain a catalog (webpage) of all departmentally developed R packages.
- Work with researchers to develop best practices and resources for reproducible research
- Keep skills updated by taking advantage of training opportunities and relevant conferences.
- BS/MS in a relevant discipline (mathematics, statistics, computer science, engineering or other quantitative fields).
- 1 to 2 years systems analysis/programming activities in a business environment for Associate Level
- 3 to 5 years systems analysis/programming activities in a business environment for Intermediate Level
- Have strong knowledge and experience coding with R; including parallelization and data visualization techniques
- Strong familiarity with RStudio, MarkDown and ggplot
- Have understanding of data science workflows
Knowledge of statistics or work experience on statistical projects using R is desirable.
- We are seeking an experienced and dynamic staff (leader/member) with a commitment to contributing to a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment for all members of our community.
- Based on candidate qualifications this position may be filled at an Intermediate level. Qualified candidates may be considered at a part time level to meet their availability.
- Salary for the Application Programmer / Analyst Associate: $49,661 - $61,346.
The University of Michigan conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background checks. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
U-M EEO/AA Statement
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.