Research Associate in Physics
5 days left
- Full Time
Location : Oxford Road, Manchester
Closing Date : 20/12/2018
Salary : £32,236 to £39,609 per annum
Employment Type : Fixed Term
Faculty / Organisational Unit : Science & Engineering
Division : Accelerator, Nuclear and Particle Physic
Hours Per week : Full Time
Contract Duration : ASAP until 30 November 2020
Funded by the Cockcroft Institute and the STFC, you will be taking a leading role in working on the key issues in plasma wakefield acceleration (including proton-driven plasma wakefield acceleration, i.e. AWAKE at CERN and electron driven plasma wakefield acceleration at Daresbury lab and other labs) for the University of Manchester and the Cockcroft Institute, UK. This will be done under the supervision of Dr Xia, in close collaboration with CERN, other partner Universities of Cockcroft Institute and the Accelerator Science and Technology Centre (ASTeC) and other international partners.
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A PhD in plasma physics, accelerator physics or a closely related discipline
- Knowledge of some existing codes in accelerator design (MADX, ELEGANT, etc.)
- Knowledge of and experience in particle-in-cell simulations of beam and plasma interactions (such as EPOCH, VSim, OSIRIS, QuickPIC, etc.)
- A publication record commensurate with experience
- Programming skills (e.g. C++, Fortran, Python, Matlab)
- Excellent communication skills, including written and presentation skills
- Willingness to travel within the UK and overseas.
Desirable Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
- A specialist PhD in a topic related to plasma accelerators
- Knowledge and experience of particle-in-cell simulation
- Knowledge and experience of beam dynamics
- Some experience of high energy colliders design
- Experience of working in a collaborative project
- Experience of supervising PhD students/mentoring junior staff.
You should be highly motivated, and interested in pursuing an academic research career
You must be able to work in a positive and flexible way with a wide-ranging collaboration
How to Apply:
Candidate should send the CV and covering letter, together with three letters of reference to Dr. Guoxing Xia.
An initial two-year contract with a possibility to extend.
The School is strongly committed to promoting equality and diversity, including the Athena SWAN charter for gender equality in higher education. The School holds a Silver Award which recognises their good practice in relation to gender; including flexible working arrangements, family-friendly policies, and support to allow staff achieve a good work-life balance. We particularly welcome applications from women for this post. Appointment will always be made on merit. For further information, please visit:http://www.physics.manchester.ac.uk/about-us/equality-and-diversity/
Please note that we are unable to respond to enquiries, accept CVs or applications from Recruitment Agencies
Enquiries about vacancy shortlisting and interviews:
Name: Dr. Guoxing Xia
Tel: 0161 275 4499
Tel: 0161 850 2004
This vacancy will close for applications at midnight on the closing date