Assistant Dean of Admission for Diversity Outreach and External Relations
The Office of Undergraduate Admission assembles a freshman class of 1,700 students and a transfer class of approximately 25-40 students each year. We strive to build a class that cuts across a number of dimensions to add to a rich and diverse undergraduate educational experience for everyone. We believe that a student body that is both highly qualified and diverse in terms of culture, socioeconomic status, race, ethnicity, background, work and life experiences, skills and interests is essential to the educational process and will provide additional contributions and dimensions to the Stanford community.
The Office of Undergraduate Admission seeks an Assistant Dean of Admission for Diversity Outreach and External Relations to manage, administer, implement and interpret university and/or department admission policies and procedures.
Your responsibilities include:
- Managing and mentoring staff, developing and coordinating orientation and training programs (e.g., being a key leader in selection and evaluation training specifically in regards to diversity, access and equity initiatives; managing team of seven (7) professional staff; overseeing access and outreach training programs for staff conducting domestic outreach).
- Reading, evaluating, recommending and advocating for higher level undergraduate applications to the Admission Committee to consider for admission based on current University priorities.
- Chairing admission committees; make higher level management, evaluating and programmatic decisions (e.g., leading staff in oversight of QuestBridge review process; liaising with university partners in selecting of students for summer bridge programs).
- Developing, managing, evaluating and implementing multi-dimensional admission outreach and recruitment strategies to enroll the most academically talented students, make recommendations for future program improvements (e.g., providing leadership and oversight for all domestic outreach and recruitment – focusing on access and diversity initiatives per University priorities; overseeing and expanding new initiatives in counselor outreach programs; overseeing and expanding initiatives in early pipeline access programs; liaising with Assistant Dean of Admission for Marketing in the improvement and expansion of materials and campaigns designed to increase access and diversity).
- Developing and maintaining external community and University liaisons related to admission programs and services (e.g., overseeing staff relationships with on-campus Community Centers; liaising with Stanford Alumni Association on early pipeline access programs, recruitment events, and yield programs; liaising with external organizations (e.g., ABAFOILSS, QuestBridge, College Horizons, etc.) in promoting access, diversity, and equity in college admission).
- Evaluating departmental policies and procedures and making recommendations to senior management team (e.g., leading and participating in annual review of outreach and selection policies, programs, and procedures; proposing and leading changes in outreach and selection initiatives in order to promote diversity, equity and access).
- Overseeing the collection of enrollment data, developing reports and analyses, managing team’s program budget (e.g., collecting, analyzing and reviewing short and long term trends in outreach and selection results as related to diversity equity and access; overseeing the reporting and analyses of all domestic pipeline programming, outreach efforts, and yield campaigns in an effort to improve representation on campus).
- Evaluating needs and managing the implementation and development of technology (e.g., working with CRM platform to manage and implement new strategies and techniques for reaching and engaging with underserved communities and populations).
- Participating in the development of long-term strategic planning and leading team on the implementation of annual long-range planning efforts, developing business practices and organizational change that improve processes and workflow.
- Serving as a key member of the management team representing the department/unit on University wide teams and projects.
- Taking leadership role at regional and national committees/conferences.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Personnel management experience.
- Budget management experience.
- Proven strong strategic planning skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Proven reading comprehension skills.
- Proven strong organizational, planning and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and make distinctions among competitive applicants.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Proven experience in public speaking and giving presentations.
- Strong evidence of program planning skills.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree and seven (7) years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or auditing a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in human resources and provide examples of your experience with problem solving, confidentiality, project management, customer service, multi-tasking, attention to detail, responsiveness.