Under the direction of the Associate Director and the Business Office Manager of the Department of Surgery and with considerable latitude for exercising independent judgement; this person will be responsible for the management of budgeting, spending, reporting and planning in compliance with Yale University and funding agency guidelines.
- Financial Modeling and Forecasting. Provides technical analysis to determine present and future financial performance. Organizes information from a variety of sources for use in analyzing future plans and forecasts. Collaborates with all levels of management, both internally and externally, to gather, analyze, summarize, prepare, and present recommendations regarding financial plans and other complex financial matters. Researches and evaluates information to resolve issues and makes recommendations. Develops and/or executes complex financial models.
- Financial Analysis and Reporting. Analyzes and synthesizes information and designs and creates accurate and timely reports. Designs financial reporting to meet the compliance needs of internal and external users. Extracts and consolidates data from multiple sources.
- Financial Methods and Systems. Contributes to the planning and improvement of practices, processes and systems. Collaborates with all levels of internal and external contacts to carry out department goals. Provides a high level of service that cultivates and maintains strong working relationships and communicates effectively; takes ownership and accountability for timeliness, accuracy and relationship management.
- Strategic Resource. Translates department finance goals into objectives. Identifies and raises potential financial opportunities, issues, risks, ideas and solutions. Identifies the appropriate stakeholders to include in consultations, communications, approvals or buy-ins for designing and implementing changes.
- Compliance and Risk Management. Establishes, implements and/or maintains strong internal controls in areas of assigned responsibility to provide reasonable assurance of effective and appropriate resource use, accurate financial information, and adherence to contractual obligations and agreements, policies, procedures, and external regulatory requirements.
- Mentors, leads and/or supervises staff.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, Economics or Finance and four years of related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Demonstrated application of financial, accounting and economic concepts.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Well developed oral and written communication skills. Outstanding interpersonal skills.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Ability to function independently, under stress and in a highly proactive fashion. Demonstrates willingness to work as a member of a team by absorbing incidental responsibilities and contributing to special projects to ensure the smooth functioning of the office.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Ability to be an expert representative of financial management in an academic medical setting.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Demonstrates high personal integrity.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.