Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST is seeking an experienced web developer to support our growing web presence and to help us take our web sites to the next level. You will work as part of a team to maintain and develop our Drupal websites and some other web systems at OIST. The Digital Services Section works mainly with the administration but also consults closely with researchers to help them design and build applications such as web portals and services.
Come live in sunny Okinawa and help us to build a new and different university in Japan.
Digital Services Section, Communications and Public Relations Division
Vice President for Communications and Public Relations
The Digital Services Section supports the development of a wide range of digital assets that meet the needs of a growing University. The Section advances the research-driven communication program of OIST and helps promote the University to its global audiences. The services of the Section are built upon expertise in web design, web development, user training, and content strategy and management.
- Design, develop, and maintain web applications and resources, predominantly based in Drupal, Symfony, and PHP.
- Develop custom tools and provide university-wide solutions to support the growth of the university.
- Lead university-wide projects and provide advice and support members of the research and administration in web design and development.
- Produce high quality documentation for all systems and services deployed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Bachelor of Science
- Minimum 5 years of experience as a web developer and at least 3 years’ experience working with Drupal
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate easily in spoken and written English.
- Ability to develop and maintain Drupal 7 and 8 websites.
- Demonstrated experience in leading a project or a team
- Ability to use Amazon Web Services and cloud hosting platforms.
- Ability to use Git version control.
- Ability to use Docker for local development.
- Willingness to learn and maintain some legacy systems.
- Familiarity with Drupal 7 Organic Groups.
- Experience with front-end pattern libraries.
- Experience with Ember JS.
- Experience with Agile and Jira.
- Experience with automated testing frameworks and Continuous Integration.
- Japanese language ability or an interest in learning.
As early as possible
Term & Working hours:
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month) or 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
*Depending on the individual’s job class
Compensation & Benefits:
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 4.6 million yen ～11 million yen (Job Class: Specialist II～III, A4-5)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How to Apply:
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date:
December 31, 2018 (Applications will be screened upon arrival)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).
Apply for Web Developer
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly