DNA Sequencing Technician
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology
(DNA Sequencing Technician)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
DNA Sequencing Section, Research Support Division
DNA Sequencing Section Leader
The Research Support Division (RSD) shall contribute to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of RSD shall provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of RSD shall provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
As one of the technical sections of RSD, DNA Sequencing Section provides support to researchers in promoting advances in biological science by providing genomic analyses services. Services offered include next-generation sequencing (NGS) support in a wide range of NGS applications, such as de novo genome sequencing, re-sequencing, RNA sequencing, and ChIP sequencing, etc. Currently, the section has six (a wide variety of) NGS sequencers: Illumina NovaSeq, Illumina Hiseq4000, Illumina HiSeq2500, Illumina MiSeq, PacBio RSII and Oxford Nanopore MinION. In addition, the section owns capillary sequencers, realtime PCR, microarray and etc. for common use.
The OIST DNA Sequencing Section seeks a highly-motivated and team-oriented individual to expand DNA sequencing capability within the university. The principle responsibility of the position will be to support OIST researchers with sequencing needs by providing consultation on experimental protocols, accepting DNA samples, preparing libraries, operating next-generation DNA sequencers and submitting collected data to requesters.
- Support OIST researchers in their DNA sequencing to include:
- Provide consultation to researchers on experimental protocols
- Accept and prepare DNA samples for sequencing library
- Operate next-generation DNA sequencers and submit collected data to researchers
2. Attend trade shows and conferences and compile information on the latest developments in next-generation DNA sequencing technologies
3. Carry out routine cleaning and maintenance of sequencers and tools within the sequencing facility
4. Other duties as assigned by the DNA Sequencing Section Leader
- Bachelor or higher degree in science
- A minimum of 5 years of laboratory experience in molecular biology
- Ability to think logically and work systematically and accurately
- Ability to effectively communicate and provide customer oriented service to researchers in English both written and spoken (TOEIC 850 or higher)
As possible after that
Term & Working hours:
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits:
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation
Annual salary: 2.4M yen-6.0M yen (Job class: Research Support Technician, RS1)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How to Apply:
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in English (and in Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and in Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date:
December 31, 2018 (Applications will be screened upon arrival)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).
Apply for DNA Sequencing Technician
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly