Executive Director, Stanford Law School Digital Initiative
Stanford Law School seeks to hire the best talent and to promote a safe and secure environment for all members of the university community and its property. To that end, new staff hires must successfully pass a background check prior to starting work at Stanford University.
Stanford Law School is focused on expanding its law and technology ecosystem in an effort to enhance collaborations within the school, campus-wide, and beyond the University to integrate and expand our resources and propel ourselves into a leadership role in the formation and practice of law and policy in the digital realm. The digital initiative will work towards complimenting efforts made towards Stanford’s long range planning process and a future capital campaign.
In this challenging and rewarding position as the Executive Director, you will be responsible for spearheading the SLS affinity groups related to digital matters and advancing the digital initiative agenda by increasing dynamic collaborations. You will conduct an initial inventory of our existing strengths in digital matters that encompass a broad range of specialties: intellectual property; privacy; free speech online; internet platforms and structure; civil liberties/cyber surveillance; AI and robotics; intermediary liability; electronic commerce/blockchain; cybersecurity; legal analytics; design for access to justice. You will report to the dean of the law school. This is a 5 year, fixed-term position.
In addition, you will:
- Monitor social, political, industry, and legal trends to identify areas of concern for law and policy, gaps existing at SLS in these areas, and emerging opportunities for SLS engagement.
- Meet with faculty, researchers, and others throughout the University and community to foster relationships and advance our affinity group initiatives, and facilitate new projects and initiatives.
- Consult with SLS faculty, students, and student groups with interest in this area, and assist with development, expansion, and conferences and projects.
- In consultation with faculty and affinity group members, initiate conferences and other convenings at SLS aimed at the interest of lawyers, people from industry, policy makers and academics, as well as other stakeholders, both in-country and abroad.
- Tell the SLS Digital Initiative story by developing a clear, concise message for dissemination to all relevant venues (both outside the US and within), including an online presence via a website.
- Work with our External Relations office to develop fundraising/funding opportunities for individual projects within the Initiative as well as for the Initiative itself.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
To be successful in this position you will bring:
- An advanced degree and a significant amount of experience in the area of law, policy and the digital environment, or combination of relevant education, training, and/or experience. JD required.
- Experience developing program partnerships and funding sources.
- Proven ability to work in an academic setting.
- Advanced oral, written, and analytical skills, exhibiting fluency in area of specialization.
- Ability to oversee and direct staff.
- Ability to manage budgets and develop financial plans.
- Demonstrated fundraising experience.
Application Instructions: Submit your application through Stanford’s online system. Include cover letter, resume, and references.
Application Deadline: January 7, 2019
We invite you to apply by clicking the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest and experience along with your application.
Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or the ability to audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
Stanford University is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.