Financial Aid Counselor
The Financial Aid Office strives to enable all admitted students to take advantage of the opportunities at Stanford through one of the most generous financial aid programs in the nation. We are a dynamic team of dedicated professionals committed to serving all students, both undergraduate and graduate, and their families. We maximize use of technology to provide funding, tools and information necessary to meet educational expenses for all students. We ensure that institutional, governmental and private funds are administered in compliance with the highest standards of fiscal responsibility.
The Financial Aid Office (FAO) seeks a Financial Aid Counselor who, as part of a team, will provide direct support to prospective students, current students, undergraduate and/or graduate, their families and supporters, Stanford colleagues and the general public related to financial aid programs and policies.
Your responsibilities include:
- Reviewing student eligibility for outside scholarship funds, per University policy and donor guidelines; adjusting existing aid packages as appropriate.
- Adjusting student eligibility upon request for student loans based on eligibility guidelines.
- Communicating complex financial information and application procedures to prospective students, current students, and their families in a clear, timely and professional manner.
- Responding to a high volume of requests for information via email.
- Serving as the main point of contact for walk-in and phone traffic for FAO.
- Answering inquiries by clarifying desired information; researching, locating and providing information.
- Resolving problems by clarifying issues, researching and exploring answers and alternative solutions, escalating unresolved problems.
- Documenting student interactions when appropriate.
- Occasionally assisting with data updates; indexing of scanned documents and updating student records.
- Maintaining and improving quality results by adhering to standards and guidelines; recommending improved procedures.
*Other duties may also be assigned.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to exercise tact and discretion when dealing with students, families, donors and staff.
- Excellent phone and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Ability to work at a very detailed level, using numeric data with a high degree of speed and accuracy.
- Demonstrated ability to set priorities, managing time and workflow and to managing multiple, concurrent high priority projects in a time-pressured environment.
- Ability to understand and explain university policies to others.
- Ability to work as an effective member of a team, identifying and implementing process improvements.
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills and good judgment.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- A Bachelor’s degree and one year of relevant experience (1-2 years preferred) or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Ability to use multiple financial aid systems, document management systems, and Windows-based environment and office applications.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or auditing a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.