Senior Administrative Assistant
Under limited supervision, provide advanced level of research, editorial and administrative support for a group of faculty in the Chemistry Department with multiple grants, teaching and major departmental administrative responsibilities. Serve as primary contact to advise students, faculty and staff on Yale's policies and procedures, direct them to the appropriate office for assistance and regarding department activities. Solve standard and non-standard problems.
- Conducts extensive literature searches, researches and reviews, downloads journal articles and creates both endnote libraries and bibliographies for manuscript development and submission
- Edits, copyedits and proofreads content for publications, articles and journals for content, style, grammatical and factual accuracy. Tracks copy through various editing and production stages.
- Assists with writing and submitting abstracts for presentation, with manuscripts for publication and preparing and assembling grant applications in accordance to agency guidelines.
- Prepares teaching materials including assembling syllabi and course packets and makes arrangements for class visitors (travel, lodging, reimbursements).
- Takes dictation on phone and in person and transcribe notes.
- Coordinates all conference activities including travel and lodging arrangements, publicity, reserving rooms, media services and catering, contacting attendees, creating agendas, collecting information and documents for both domestic and international reimbursements.
- Gathers information and writes and proofreads routine correspondence and reports.
- Serves as EMS preparer and uses eShip Global and SciQuest.
- Maintains, modifies and updates and existing website. Keeps website current, determines sources of and compiles information for updates and input. Assists in website design, editing, and developing content of site. Identifies, evaluates and solves website problems. Updates links as needed.
- Coordinates travel arrangements. Schedules meetings and appointments.
- Creates and maintains files.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate's Degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's Degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated administrative support skills, including complex calendaring and travel coordination. Demonstrated ability to successfully execute the daily demanding priorities of Chemistry faculty with grace, ease and accuracy.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Proven developed organizational and interpersonal skills. Ability to juggle multiple tasks, prioritize, and meet demanding deadlines and work with changing priorities in a growing and high-volume environment; flexibility in handling assignments. Demonstrated success in detailed work requiring accuracy and high level of productivity with follow-up skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Effective oral and written communication skills. Excellent grammar and spelling skills, and strong attention to detail. Resourceful team player with well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to interact with faculty, staff and outside parties. Ability to manage sensitive information in a professional manner.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Ability to handle high demand departmental community members. Ability to work with conflicting requests and confidence to request assistance as needed. Self-directed with the proven ability to take initiative and problem solve. Demonstrated sensitivity, confidentiality and sound judgment.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Intermediate to advanced proficiency with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Demonstrated proficiency with electronic accounting or financial systems.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience with Endnote, Box, Drop Box, Google Forms, Drupal, Workday. Prior experience managing and organizing the schedules of others.
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.