Consider all the lives saved over the many years as a result of Stanford’s innovation in the medical field. Imagine a world without the internet and social platforms. Did you know Stanford pioneered the procedure for organ transplants and also created the first website in the United States? All of these advances and more, are a direct result of Stanford University’s prominent faculty, researchers and alumni, who have revolutionized the way we live and enriched the world. Supporting this mission is Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff, who come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere
The Spend Management Team in Procure-To-Pay supports the development of sustainable and innovative supply strategies which will be delivered through collaborative engagement across seven schools and seventeen non-academic units with the approximate spend of $2.4 Billion. In this challenging position as the Data Analyst, under general direction, process a wide variety of analytical data and produce routine, single data sources’ information requests. If you have a data driven mindset and the ability to draw conclusions based on data, this position may be the right career opportunity for you. Each day brings a new set of objectives as you:
- Identify and select usable data from subtle and complex data patterns. Assess and produce relevant, standard, or custom information (reports, charts, graphs and tables) from structured data sources by querying data repositories and generating the associated information.
- Design methods to validate data to ensure high quality product. Explore creative approach to using data based on technical expertise of available data. Distribute reports to applicable agencies, researchers, management and other internal end-users and provide interpretation of data when needed.
- Develop and produce dashboards, key performance indicators, and other recognized metrics used to monitor and report organizational performance. Collect and analyze metric data.
- Collect, manage and clean datasets using an extraction and reporting programming language to ensure data integrity
- Research and reconcile data discrepancies occurring among various information systems and reports.
- Collaborate with data managers to define and implement data standards and common data elements for data collection.
- Identify new sources of data and methods to improve data collection, analysis and reporting.
- May test prototype software and participate in approval and release process for new software.
* - Other duties may also be assigned
Education & Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a combination of education and relevant experience. Experience in a quantitative discipline such as economics, finance, statistics or engineering.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge and demonstrated experience using and applying analytical software, database management system software, database reporting software, database user interface and query software, and data mining software.
- Ability to collect data using a variety of methods, such as data mining and hardcopy or electronic documentation study, to improve or expand databases.
- Strong listening, verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage multiple activities in a deadline-oriented environment; highly organized, flexible and rigorous attention to detail.
- Ability to use logic to calculate data; efficiently construct a database or scrutinize the form of a question.
- Ability to work with data of varying levels of quality and validity.
- Demonstrated ability to produce data in a clear and understandable manner meeting user requirements.
- Ability to work effectively with multiple internal and external customers.
- Development skills in a relevant language such as Python or R.
- Experience with storytelling and visualization, with some exposure to visualization tools.
- Experience in data collection, transformation, and preparation.
- Familiarity with standard analyst tools and packages.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, sort, file paperwork or parts, grasp lightly, and use fine manipulation, lift, carry, push and pull objects that weigh 10 pounds or less.
- Occasionally write by hand, twist, bend, stoop and squat.
- Rarely stand, walk, reach or work above shoulders and use a telephone.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.
- May work extended hours during peak business cycles.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.