Lecturer or Assistant Professor in English Language
Position Title: LL02 – Lecturer or Assistant Professor in English Language
Department: Language and Literature
The Community College of Qatar, in collaboration with Houston Community College, opened its doors in September 2010 with an enrollment of 308 full-time students at the West Bay Campus. Today, CCQ is the fastest growing institution in Qatar with an enrollment of 5000 students at five different campuses.
The college offers a number of associate and bachelor degree programs that meet the needs of the labor force in Qatar, for example two-year Associate of Arts/Applied Arts, and Associate of Science/Applied Science degree programs for students wishing to transfer to four-year universities, as well as 2+2-year associate and bachelor's degree programs.
CCQ also offers short-term continuing education and marketable skills certificates for those who wish to develop their knowledge and skills. CCQ has partnered with a number of local and international universities in order to provide students with the opportunity to seamlessly transfer to a university for a bachelor's degree without losing the validation for any of their coursework.
The primary mission of the Department of Language and Literature at CCQ is to provide courses in English and Arabic language to help students cope with the linguistic challenges of their various degree programs, as well as to provide students with linguistic, cognitive and transferable skills that help their future professional development. Credit courses in these disciplines are an essential component of all CCQ students’ degree programs. Spanish and French language courses are credit-bearing courses that are offered under the General Skills and General Electives packages in the degree program.
The role of the English Language instructor encompasses teaching undergraduate courses in the area of expertise (English reading, writing, college composition, literature, linguistics etc.), as well as academic advising, professional development, and institutional/community service.
In particular, the applicant is expected to:
- Demonstrate skill and knowledge in teaching discipline;
- Develop syllabi for relevant courses;
- Review, evaluate, and recommend student textbooks and learning materials;
- Develop, and use a variety of teaching materials that assist students in meeting course objectives;
- Make continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods;
- Evaluate students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course objectives;
- Keep accurate student records and submit related reports and forms within requested timelines;
- Teach courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs;
- Hold regular office hours;
- Participate in department and college-wide professional development activities and committees.
The applicant must have a Master’s degree in English, or Applied Linguistics, or TESOL, or a closely related field of study (with a minimum of 18 graduate-level credit hours in the teaching discipline) from an internationally recognized university.
3 years of college/university level teaching. Work experience in GCC is preferred but not mandatory.
The applicant is expected to be native or native-like proficient in English (in both oral and written modes). S/he is required to maintain professional ethical, and responsible interactions with students, faculty, and staff.
- Education allowance: up to 3 children (from grade 1 until 18 years old);
- Airplane ticket allowance: for faculty and family members (spouse and 3 children up to 18 years of age) upon first arrival (for overseas staff), at final departure (overseas and local destination), and during summer leave;
- Shipment allowance: upon first arrival (for overseas staff) and at final departure (overseas and local destination);
- Annual basic salary increment: applicable depending on the Annual Performance Evaluation;
- Medical insurance: renewed yearly upon higher management's approval.
How to apply:
Please apply using the Apply button below
You are required to submit the following documents along with the application:
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Cover letter
- Teaching philosophy
- Contact information of three referees
- Copy of highest earned degree certificate and transcript