Associate Lecturer (Education-focused), Spanish and Latin American Studies
School of Languages and Cultures
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Looking for a talented educator in tertiary level Spanish language teaching methodology
- Full-time, fixed term for up to 11 months
- Remuneration package: Academic Level A, $73K to $98K p.a. plus leave loading and 12.5% superannuation
About the opportunity
Education-focused is a specialised category of academic engagement reserved for talented educators with a passion for, and demonstrated excellence in, pedagogical practice and design.
As an Associate Lecturer (Education-focused) you’ll contribute to the teaching and learning efforts within the School while working with the support and guidance of more senior academic staff to develop your education proficiency. In this role you will dedicate the majority of your contribution to education (up to 70% - or 80% by mutual agreement - of your academic workload allocation).
The Department of Spanish and Latin American Studies is seeking a colleague who will complement and enhance the department’s reputation in teaching and learning. We are particularly looking for an expert in language teaching methodology, more specifically in the pedagogy of Spanish as a second language, applied linguistics and/or translation or related areas of expertise in Spanish-speaking cultures.
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for an Associate Lecturer (Education-focused), Spanish Studies who possesses:
- a PhD in Spanish and/or Latin American culture, linguistics or other humanities and social sciences research with a strong focus on Spain and/or Latin America
- near native fluency in Spanish and English
- experience in designing and teaching Spanish-language courses at all levels including the use of technology
- demonstrated administrative skills in an academic environment
- evidence of research-led innovation in teaching and learning, especially at the culture-language interface
- evidence of team work and collaborative experience.
The Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences offers one of the most comprehensive and diverse ranges of humanities and social science studies in the Asia Pacific region and is regularly ranked in the top 20 arts faculties in the world. The School of Languages and Cultures (SLC) offers the widest range of undergraduate and postgraduate language studies in Australia and is a centre for European, Latin American, Asian and Middle Eastern Studies.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ more than 6,000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
How to apply
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 2274/1118F to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm, 17 December, 2018 (Sydney time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Education Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Languages, Literature & Linguistics Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Social Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sydney
- Fixed Term Arts & Humanities Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Sydney