Develop, coordinate and implement exercise related programs including marketing, research, and internships. Provide exercise-related education for patients and the community. Responsible for all exercise science standards needed to meet regulatory and credentialing requirements.
- Performs all Exercise Specialist duties and diagnostic testing independently as required by work site.
- Assist with oversight and daily operations of clinical and non- clinical programs.
- Assist manager with program compliance, benchmarking and performance improvement.
- Able to teach most/all offered land and water based group exercise for low, medium, and high risk clients.
- Mentor and train other staff in group exercise.
- Required to have clinical knowledge of disease management programming multiple co-morbidities.
- Responsible for exercise prescription development for all patient populations
- Mentor and lead others in the department (employees and interns)
- Direct responsibility for all exercise requirements indicated in cardiac rehab state license, AAVCPR national and ACSM guidelines, if required at work site.
- Recognizes symptom changes/signs of problems and knows the appropriate medical response and processes.
- Initiates first responder care.
- Active in program certification process and regulatory agency review according to work site.
- Assign and implement lectures, fitness classes, marketing and other materials as needed for each work site. -
- Lead Process Improvement initiatives and benchmark responsibilities for program changes.
- Clinical oversight regarding exercise for all patients at all risk levels.
- Able to teach all land and water based group exercise for all risk level patients.
- Serves as master trainer to other staff in area of group exercise and evaluates staff regarding group exercise.
- Functions as a Team Leader in supervising and program oversight.
- Implement processes to ensure compliance with state, national and organizational safety requirements.
- Takes responsibility for program compliance issues.
- Collects, process and interpret program data to support both medical coverage and administrative support.
- Has knowledge of industry standards.
- Serve as principle investigator for research projects, which may include supervision of research and publication.
- Present exercise knowledge at national or regional conferences.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Stay current with certifications and attend continuing education events.
- Review current research and update materials as needed
- A high level of professionalism and knowledge of exercise programming is required.
5349 EXERCISE PHYSIOLOGIST
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation, creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.
Essential Physical Job Functions:
Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Master's degree in Exercise Physiology or Exercise Science.
Bachelor's degree plus RCEP credential accepted
Level I: Minimum 1 yrs applicable experience, prefer 2
Level II: Minimum 3 yrs applicable experience (leadership experience preferred).
Degrees, Licensures, Certifications
ACLS required (must attain within 6 months of hire date); ACSM Clinical Certification as Exercise Specialist or Health Fitness instructor (must attain within 6 months of hire date)
ACLS required; ACSM Clinical Certification as Registered Clinical Exercise Physiologist