Events and Event Marketing Manager
Who We Are:
The Stanford University Graduate School of Education (GSE) is a top-ranked school of education, known for its prestigious faculty, rigorous graduate degree programs, and its impact on the quality of education across the world. The GSE is committed to developing leaders in education research, practice and policy. Our community includes over 60 faculty, 400 students, 200 staff, 8,000 alumni and countless people from the local and global communities we work with and impact. The work environment is dynamic, deadline-driven, fast-paced, and energetic.
What You’ll Do:
The Graduate School of Education (GSE) seeks a fulltime Events and Event Marketing Manager to join the External Relations team. Reporting to the Director of Alumni Relations and Annual Giving, this position will work with External Relations teammates, alumni volunteers, faculty, students, the Office of Development and other school and university colleagues to plan and execute events and event-related communications that reach, serve, and engage alumni, donors stakeholders and friends of the GSE.
Core duties will include (but are not limited to):
External Relations and School Events:
- Development and management of annual and opportunistic event-based engagement efforts for the school that span our fundraising, alumni relations, annual fund and community engagement needs.
- Event management for the GSE Cubberley Lecture, GSE alumni programs such as the annual professional conference (American Educational Research Association) and Reunion/Homecoming including an awards reception and homecoming tailgate
- Event management of stewardship events such as the GSE’s Circle Night and the annual Fellowship Reception as well as other school, donor and faculty events as assigned to support and elevate the successful work of the School and the University.
- Event assistance and partnership of school-wide events and initiatives such as a 2019 cross-country Vision Tour with the GSE dean and faculty.
- Coordination of event project plans, timelines and volunteer roles; partnership with Stanford’s Events Services and other campus resources; creation of registration tools using existing resources or develop new systems as needed; relationship management with vendors for venue rental, catering, special gifts, and event materials and collateral; tracking of program expenses across budgets and bill paying directly related to these events.
Event Marketing and Communications, General Administrative Assistance:
- Provide communications and marketing expertise for the above events and programs
- Manage alumni relations frontline email and voicemail communications
- Develop promotional materials and publicity outreach strategies (traditional, print, digital, social media, other) to build core audiences and drive event attendance
- Develop pre- and post-event evaluations/surveys to inform future efforts and build a database of relevant guest/attendee feedback
- Administrative tasks as event velocity demands such as data entry, errands, mailings and event setup
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
What You’ll Bring:
We are looking for someone who is customer service oriented, enthusiastic and energetic, and a creative problem solver. This job requires working with all levels of our constituents, so it is important that you can demonstrate professional decorum as well as an ability to communicate and build relationships across broad audiences. A good sense of humor is appreciated (where appropriate) and a strong, dedicated work ethic is a must. Some additional requirements include:
Education & Experience:
A four-year college degree or equivalent and 2-3 years’ experience in a dynamic work environment doing equivalent work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- A drive for creativity, a sense of organizational mission, and attention to detail.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and the ability to represent the university professionally both internally and externally.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Qualtrics and an aptitude for learning database management programs. Graphic design skills and basic HTML knowledge a significant bonus.
- Knowledge of Oracle Financial and/or Postgrads is preferred but not required.
- Ability to attend several evening and weekend programs/events throughout the year.
- Demonstrated experience securing vendor bids/estimates, reviewing vendor contracts, planning event logistics, developing registration systems, driving attendance, surveying guest experiences.
- Strong interpersonal and client services skills; tact and flexibility in working with diverse population groups.
- Excellent judgment, the ability to analyze problems quickly and accurately, and the ability to develop practical and effective solutions to solve a variety of problems.
- Discretion handling private and confidential alumni and donor information.
- Understanding and commitment to goals of higher education is highly desirable.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Constantly perform desk-based tasks.
- Frequently stand/walk, sit.
- Occasionally grasp forcefully, use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 40 pounds.
- Writing by hand, sort/file paperwork or parts.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a California Non-commercial Class license.
* - Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
- Occasional work on evenings and weekends.
- May work outdoors.
- Some domestic travel may be required of this position.
Why Stanford is for You:
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, you must submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
- Finalist must successfully complete a background check prior to working at Stanford University.
- Applicants to this position must be available to work in the United States without sponsorship for 2 years or more. OPT permit holders should confirm that they are eligible to work in the US at the Stanford GSE for two years or more.
- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job.